Virtual Particles: How They Work

In summary, the article said that virtual particles are indeed real particles, and that quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles. The article also said that the relationship between time and virtual particles is governed by something intrinsic to the type of particle, or by the energy of the particle.
asimov42
Folks,

I have a question about virtual particles. I recently read in a Scientific American article which says that "virtual particles are indeed real particles. Quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles in all possible ways. These predictions are very well understood and tested."

I assume, from the above, that by "spending time as a combination of other particles", the author means that every particle is in a superposition, with some chance of appearing as a combination of other (virtual) particles, which can't be observed because they're virtual? E.g. a photon sometimes splits into a virtual electron/positron pair, and then reforms the original photon...

So, assuming the above, my question is: what govern the amount of time / probability distribution for a particle appearing as other types of particles? Is it something intrinsic to the type of particle itself? Or does it have to do with the energy of the particle? For example, if I were to say, accelerate an electron by a significant amount, would that affect the amount of 'time' (for lack of a better word) that it spends as other, heavier particles?

Not sure if the above is very clear, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
I recently read in a Scientific American article which says that "virtual particles are indeed real particles. Quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles in all possible ways. These predictions are very well understood and tested."
I think it is simply wrong.

Demystifier said:
I think it is simply wrong.

Seconded. Virtual particles and real particles are very easy to tell apart. You can't ever observe a virtual one...

Maybe they're saying that virtual particles are not literally "fake" particles, but other particles that are actually part of the standard model

Each virtual particle has its real conterpart, which can be detected.

The original article was making the point that virtual particles are not just used for bookkeeping, but do, in fact 'exist' (although they are unobservable).

I was wondering more about the amount of time one particle spends as a combination of other particles. E.g. (again from the article) the measured mass of the Z boson was slightly different that that predicted by the standard model, and this difference was later attributed to the time the Z spends as a virtual top quark. My question is, basically, what governs this relationship? I.e. how do we 'know' how much time the Z should spend as a virtual top quark etc.? (I think the use of the word time here might not be entirely accurate)

Thanks all.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are subatomic particles that spontaneously appear and disappear in empty space. They are a manifestation of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

2. How do virtual particles work?

Virtual particles are created in pairs, consisting of a particle and its antiparticle. They exist for a very short amount of time and then annihilate each other, returning the energy back into the vacuum. This process is known as quantum fluctuation.

3. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed with current technology. However, their effects can be observed through various experiments and calculations in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of virtual particles?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and interactions at a quantum level. They also have implications in various fields such as cosmology and particle physics.

5. Are virtual particles real?

Virtual particles are a mathematical concept and cannot be considered as physical particles. However, they have measurable effects and are an integral part of our current understanding of the universe.