Questions on Virtual Particles

In summary, virtual particles are a mathematical tool necessary in perturbation theory, but this does not necessarily mean they do not exist. They do not violate the relativistic energy equation, but in some interpretations of quantum mechanics, something similar to that may be possible. Virtual particles can be on or off-shell, and this characteristic is independent of frame of reference.
Bobhawke
I have a few questions.

Why is it that detection of a virtual particle would mean that it cannot be virtual? What is it exactly about the detection that destroys the virtual nature of a particle?

I have read in several places that the idea of virtual particles is just an artefact of perturbation theory - if we could solve things exactly we wouldn't need to speak of virtual particles. So does this mean virtual particles don't actually exist, but rather are a mathematical tool that is necessary in perturbation theory? Are there really particles flying about that violate the relativistic energy equation?

Thirdly, virtual particles can have an indefinite energy for a short period of time due to the energy time uncertainty relation. However in SR time is observer specific - does this then mean that in some frames of reference a particle is virtual, but in others it is not? Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
faster than light?

Bobhawke said:
Thirdly, virtual particles can have an indefinite energy for a short period of time due to the energy time uncertainty relation. However in SR time is observer specific - does this then mean that in some frames of reference a particle is virtual, but in others it is not? Does this make sense?

Hi Bobhawke! :smile:

I think that virtual particles travel faster than light … :confused:

(they certainly do "when two electrons exchange them")

if so, they would be faster than light for all observers. :smile:

Bobhawke said:
I have read in several places that the idea of virtual particles is just an artefact of perturbation theory - if we could solve things exactly we wouldn't need to speak of virtual particles. So does this mean virtual particles don't actually exist, but rather are a mathematical tool that is necessary in perturbation theory?
That's how I think of them, but I don't think that implies that they don't exist. If there are several possible mathematical models that predict the same outcomes of experiments, then who's to say that one of them is more "real" than the other.

bump!

Bobhawke said:
1. I have read in several places that the idea of virtual particles is just an artefact of perturbation theory - if we could solve things exactly we wouldn't need to speak of virtual particles. So does this mean virtual particles don't actually exist, but rather are a mathematical tool that is necessary in perturbation theory?

2. Are there really particles flying about that violate the relativistic energy equation?
1. Yes.

2. No, at least not in the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics. However, in some versions of the Bohmian interpretation, something similar to that might have more sense.

Bobhawke said:
does this then mean that in some frames of reference a particle is virtual, but in others it is not? Does this make sense?

A "particle" is virtual particle if it is off-shell, i.e., if

[tex]E^2 - p^2[/tex]

does not equal the square of the rest mass of the particle. Since [itex]E^2 - p^2[/itex] is frame-invariant, this characterization is independent of frame.

A virtual particle is a particle that represents an internal line on a Feynman diagram. Although they are not constrained by the energy equation; P2 = -m2 , this doesn't mean they definatly are not on the mass shell, there energy can take any value.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that are predicted by quantum field theory to exist in the space between other particles. They are considered "virtual" because they cannot be directly observed or measured, but they play a crucial role in explaining certain phenomena, such as the behavior of particles at extremely small scales.

2. How do virtual particles differ from regular particles?

Virtual particles differ from regular particles in several ways. They have a much shorter lifespan, existing for only a fraction of a second before disappearing. They also do not have a definite mass or energy, and their properties can fluctuate constantly. Additionally, virtual particles do not interact with other particles in the same way as regular particles do, and they are not subject to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Can virtual particles become real particles?

Yes, virtual particles can become real particles under certain circumstances. In quantum field theory, particles are constantly popping in and out of existence, and sometimes a virtual particle can gain enough energy to become a real particle. This process is called "pair production" and is observed in phenomena such as Hawking radiation.

4. How do virtual particles contribute to the vacuum energy of the universe?

Virtual particles are believed to contribute to the vacuum energy of the universe, also known as the cosmological constant. The vacuum energy is the energy that exists in empty space, and it is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. Virtual particles constantly appear and disappear in the vacuum, contributing to its overall energy.

5. Can virtual particles be observed or measured?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because they only exist for an extremely short amount of time and do not interact with other particles in the same way as regular particles. However, their effects can be indirectly observed through phenomena such as the Casimir effect, which is caused by the fluctuations of virtual particles in a vacuum.