1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual particles

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] virtual particles

If there is createn a virtual pair (anti particle A and its particle B) in vacuum what are they doing in their life time? Is A always at the same position like B or how can they annihilate? And if they annihilate, what's with the energy (does it disappear)? Has the anti particle negativ energy?

I hope you can answer this questions :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2005 #2
    No. Due to a manifestation of the canonical commutation relations, we have

[tex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

which means that in an ever decreasing short amount of time, the uncertainty of the energy increases. If [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is small enough, then [itex]\Delta E[/tex] can be big enough for there to be enough energy for a particle-antiparticle pair to be created. Of course, this means that those two particles have to annihilate with each other before [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is over, or if an external source of energy is given to the vacuum to make up for the [itex]\Delta E[/itex], then the two created particles can live on. The two particles won't generally be in the same position during their lifetimes.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    A virtual particle transfers a definite momentum p, so due to HUP it is everywhere.

No, another virtual pair is produced

Yes

i urge you to read my journal. I have written several entries on this topic. Check it out
    https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=2

Look at the bottom of the page
    regards
    marlon

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  5. Mar 4, 2005 #4
    "No, another virtual pair is produced"

That would mean, that the "same" energy is always there?

6. Mar 4, 2005 #5
    Ofcourse, that is the vacuum energy. It is because this energy is non-zero that them vaccuum fluctuations and virtual particles exist in the first place

I am sure i have told this before...

marlon

7. Mar 5, 2005 #6
    But if the same energy is alway there, it takes the energy "sentense" in danger (E1=E2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?