Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual particles

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] virtual particles

If there is createn a virtual pair (anti particle A and its particle B) in vacuum what are they doing in their life time? Is A always at the same position like B or how can they annihilate? And if they annihilate, what's with the energy (does it disappear)? Has the anti particle negativ energy?

I hope you can answer this questions :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2005 #2
    No. Due to a manifestation of the canonical commutation relations, we have

[tex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

which means that in an ever decreasing short amount of time, the uncertainty of the energy increases. If [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is small enough, then [itex]\Delta E[/tex] can be big enough for there to be enough energy for a particle-antiparticle pair to be created. Of course, this means that those two particles have to annihilate with each other before [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is over, or if an external source of energy is given to the vacuum to make up for the [itex]\Delta E[/itex], then the two created particles can live on. The two particles won't generally be in the same position during their lifetimes.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    A virtual particle transfers a definite momentum p, so due to HUP it is everywhere.

No, another virtual pair is produced

Yes

i urge you to read my journal. I have written several entries on this topic. Check it out
    https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=2

Look at the bottom of the page
    regards
    marlon

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  5. Mar 4, 2005 #4
    "No, another virtual pair is produced"

That would mean, that the "same" energy is always there?

6. Mar 4, 2005 #5
    Ofcourse, that is the vacuum energy. It is because this energy is non-zero that them vaccuum fluctuations and virtual particles exist in the first place

I am sure i have told this before...

marlon

7. Mar 5, 2005 #6
    But if the same energy is alway there, it takes the energy "sentense" in danger (E1=E2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?