Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Virtual particles

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    Are virtual particles of the false vacuum during inflation indistinguishable from virtual particles of the true vacuum of the present universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

Vacuum fluctuations are the same animal in inflating and non-inflating space times. Their dynamics, however, are very different during inflation on account of exponentially expanding space.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your reply. Can virtual particles be considered to have inertial mass just like real particles?

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

(All) virtual particles are fiction. (See various threads in the quantum forum, and also some recent insights.)

6. Apr 7, 2016 #5

bapowell

Science Advisor

Yes, but it does make sense to talk about vacuum fluctuations, particularly during inflation. I am trying to steer the OP in that direction.

7. Apr 7, 2016 #6

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, regarding

and

somebody know the difference? If yes is the answer, I am curious to know ...

8. Apr 7, 2016 #7
    A false vacuum is the local minimum, but not lowest energy state. A true vacuum is the lowest energy state, nobody knows if the universe is a true or false vacuum. This graph may help you.

psych.jpg

9. Apr 8, 2016 #8

Ssnow

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted