Quantum Fluctuations & Virtual Bosons: A Guide for Amateur Physicists

In summary: You might enjoy A. Zee's "Quantum Filed Theory in a Nutshell", Lancaster and Blundell's "Quantum Field Theory for the gifted amateur" or Klauber's "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory".I suggest a forum search to see what you can find here.
dsaun777
I am searching for anything on quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons for someone who is a serious but amateur physicist ie. I have completed undergrad physics/math and some graduate level math at university. I am having a hard time finding anything that isn't beyond pop science. Not really sure if I'm willing to put down 100+ $ on a textbook but I seem to be left with little choice. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest a forum search to see what you can find here.

phinds said:
I suggest a forum search to see what you can find here.
Search for threads or through the free texts?

dsaun777 said:
Search for threads or through the free texts?
What are "the free texts" ?

phinds said:
What are "the free texts" ?
The thread that is marked free science books and lists free texts

Ah, I see. No I was not suggesting that you look for a book (although that's not a bad idea) but that you search the threads for your topics of interest. That's what it MEANS to do a "forum search".

phinds said:
Ah, I see. No I was not suggesting that you look for a book (although that's not a bad idea) but that you search the threads for your topics of interest. That's what it MEANS to do a "forum search".
But that's just it I'm looking for books or pdf's, I suppose a good thread would help but I'm interested more in depth.

I don't think you're going to find what you want: an in-depth book that is not a textbook nor a popularization, one that's accessible to someone without all the prerequisites.,

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think you're going to find what you want: an in-depth book that is not a textbook nor a popularization, one that's accessible to someone without all the prerequisites.,
What would a good text be then?

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think you're going to find what you want

dsaun777 said:
What would a good text be then?

Again, I don't think you're going to find what you want.

Vanadium 50 said:
Again, I don't think you're going to find what you want.
So I should just stop studying physics?

• Wow
Likes Demystifier
dsaun777 said:

Drama will not make a nonexistent book appear.

@dsaun777 you have asked questions and we have given you answers. Your not liking the answers isn't going to get you anywhere.

phinds said:
@dsaun777 you have asked questions and we have given you answers. Your not liking the answers isn't going to get you anywhere.
Vanadium 50 said:
Drama will not make a nonexistent book appear.
So there are no texts at the undergrad or graduate level at all on virtual particles?

dsaun777 said:
So there are no texts at the undergrad or graduate level at all on virtual particles?
Virtual particles are an element of a calculational method in Quantum Field Theory called perturbation theory. So what you need to study is Quantum Field Theory.

You might enjoy A. Zee's "Quantum Filed Theory in a Nutshell", Lancaster and Blundell's "Quantum Field Theory for the gifted amateur" or Klauber's "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory".

New and especially used copies aren't in the $100 range for any of them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Demystifier, Torbert and dsaun777
dsaun777 said:
Not really sure if I'm willing to put down 100+ $ on a textbook
dsaun777 said:

If your requirements keep shifting (not a textbook, then a textbook), we can't help you. What exactly are you looking for?

Vanadium 50 said:
If your requirements keep shifting (not a textbook, then a textbook), we can't help you. What exactly are you looking for?
Now I'm looking for a textbook, I realize what I'm looking for can only be found there. I was just apprehensive about purchasing a pricey textbook so I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. However, I like DarMM suggestions and will start with those.

dsaun777 said:
No, you should start or, given your preknowledge indicated in #1, rather continuing studying physics. With your prerequesites it shouldn't be a problem to just go on! Before starting relativististic quantum-field theory, it's important to have a good knowledge of non-relativistic quantum theory, represented in the representation free Dirac formalism. The most helpful prerequisite for QFT is to understand the harmonic oscillator really in depth, covering the following points

(1) introduction of the annihilation and creation operators of "phonons" in solving the energy-eigenvalue problem for the simple harmonic oscillator
(2) understanding the formulation of the harmonic oscillator in terms of the Heisenberg picture
(3) the propagator of the harmonic oscillator
(4) not that important but helpful, if interested in quantum optics rather than QED in the HEP context: coherent states

Then it's not too difficult to also learn a bit about many-body quantum theory in the 2nd-quantization formalism mapping the (free) fields to an equivalent collection of independent harmonic oscillators.

After that you can start with relativistic QFT too.

As already Platon said, concerning math: There's no king's way, you have to learn it! Popular-science books on quantum (field) theory are usually not evern wrong caricatures of what the theory is all about. The best book coming close to a popular-science book but is still more on the serious textbook side is the QT volume of Suskinds "Theoretical Minimum" series.

Likes dsaun777
dsaun777 said:
Now I'm looking for a textbook, I realize what I'm looking for can only be found there. I was just apprehensive about purchasing a pricey textbook so I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. However, I like DarMM suggestions and will start with those.

What you are looking for, if we go back to your first post, and ignoring your requirement of a free, online text, is a book on quantum field theory!

So look for a text on QFT that is being used in a school. I believe several texts have been mentioned in the textbook list and in various threads on QFT.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations refer to the spontaneous and temporary changes in the energy levels of subatomic particles, as predicted by quantum mechanics. They are a fundamental aspect of quantum physics and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

2. What are virtual bosons?

Virtual bosons are hypothetical particles that are responsible for mediating the interactions between other particles. They are considered "virtual" because they only exist for a very short period of time and cannot be directly observed. Examples of virtual bosons include photons, gluons, and W and Z bosons.

3. How do quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons relate to each other?

Quantum fluctuations are the result of virtual particles, including virtual bosons, popping in and out of existence in the quantum vacuum. These fluctuations can create temporary imbalances in the energy levels of particles, leading to the creation of new particles or changes in the behavior of existing particles.

4. Can quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons be observed?

Quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons cannot be directly observed, as they exist at the subatomic level and for very short periods of time. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and calculations in quantum mechanics.

5. How do quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum fluctuations and virtual bosons are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales, and therefore play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. They also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics research.