Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual reality games in how long?

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does anyone think they know how long until we have great virtual reality video games? Something where you can somehow experience the game fully and practically "be there" busting down a door or shooting up a buncha mafia gang people... Something where you can literally feel the game.

I remember an x-files where they were in a virtual reality building where you actually felt getting hit (i think) and held weapons. Unfortunately i dont see how you could get very far in that environment when theres no doors to kick down or anything really cool like that :D. So does anyone know how far and in how long we can get when it comes to video game entertainment? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2
    They'll never bother making them real. least not in today's society. people don't want to feel the fight, they just want to see it. Today's public is an audience that wants to be impressed.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Screw that, i do :D Which means everyone should! :rofl:

Theres these competitions held in california where people hecka deck themselves out with military/swat gear and they basically play war in the forests with military replica bb guns. Those are the kinda people that woudl pay to play sometin like that!

Plus there HAS to be military applications.

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4
    There already are virtual reality simulations for military training.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What, are you talken about fighter aircraft sims and stationary shooting sims and MILES?

Miles is pretty close to what id want but you have to set up entire cities for that.

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6
    Yes, yes and yes.

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7
    The VR game I played made me queazy. :bugeye: I didn't like the feeling of moving, with out actually moving, and my brain didn't want to compensate. The guy that controled the game, said it was a common problem, and sometimes ended up with quite a bit of barf on his shoes. :eek:

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

bleh, not close enough! I need to lose myself into a gaming world and then take it back into the real world and get sentenced to 15years to life after accidently killing someone because i dont know the difference between the virtual reality and hte real wordl :D

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9
    Wow, this is a very possible outcome.. Maybe the VR system shdnt be out.

But ah well, i will rush to get it when it comes out commercically. :rofl:

11. Jul 29, 2005 #10
    on tv i saw a new technology that allows 3d objects to be placed virtually on real surfaces. a virtual tank was placed on a table and it actually rode on real items and acted as if it were real. then the host of the demonstration had a virtual helicopter come out and fly around the studio and then he held a virtual item in his hand. of course you can only see it on a tv screen but you could wear glasses and have a kickass vr game with it. you could use it to create a virtual lightsaber and then some enemies right in your own living room. if they mass produced it they would really change the way games are played

12. Jul 29, 2005 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The real question is: When the heck are we finally gonna have those flying cars? If you believe the prognostications of sci-fi writers, we should have had those, virtual reality, intelligent computers, humanoid robots, and space travel to Jupiter by now. Why are we lagging so far behind?

13. Jul 29, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Screw all that crap, i just want virtual reality :D. If you want to fly, go to an airport :P

14. Jul 29, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who cares, they say it happens already with current video game technology! I'm not going to allow some silly skyrocketing murder rate to get in the way of my personal enjoyment :tongue2: jk of course

15. Jul 29, 2005 #14
    donate your self to the military and ask them about it...maybe they have it hidden...it won't be commerical.

16. Jul 29, 2005 #15
    Complete VR ought to be out in my lifetime. Every few years computer power doubles, right? Work on mapping the brain, understanding motives, and scanning the brain is already underway.

As I understand it, space flight only really took place because of competition between the US and USSR. Intelligent computers already exist, they're just not highly intelligent. Thing is, software computing is more popular than neural networks, so human-like intelligence is less likely for a while. Hover cars (fan propulsion) exist, but they're not nearly as economical as normal cars. Humanoid robots aren't as economical as specialized robots, so they aren't likely inventions (people are still fairly cheap).

17. Jul 29, 2005 #16
    Id like a VR version of Leisure Suit Larry or games like that. Call me a loser but that is da bomb . Woohoo.

18. Jul 29, 2005 #17
    its a matter of making the sensory relay systems

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?