Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Virtual statistical ensembles

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Please translate to English, so that it can be discussed here! I am primarily interested in how the virtual ensemble differs from an ordinary statistical ensemble, i.e., a large collection of actually identically prepared systems.

The latter is the usual ensemble on which one can make statistics by counting, averaging, etc..

The former (the virtual ensemble) is (at least according to Gibbs) one of which you have only a single copy (a single metal bar, say) on which you make the predictions and verify them, while the others copies are just imagined to exist, but never realized. It was Gibbs' trick that enabled him to use (or misuse) the statistical machinery to get results that apply to single macroscopic systems.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, there was a section of 4 pages which starts from this part right here and expands a little using continuous spectra as well, then relating operational probabilities to operational averages.
    So this 1 page should pretty much instruct the eduated reader of what I am/was trying to say in the other thread.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted