1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual work (generalized forces) for rotation with Euler angles (quadcopter modeling)

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    Here is what we know from virtual work:
    $$
    \delta W=\sum_{i=1}^N{\vec F_i\cdot\delta\vec r_{i}}
    $$
    Where ##N## is the number of bodies in the system. I am considering a quadcopter, modeled as a rigid body so it is just one body and we have:
    $$
    \delta W=\vec F\cdot\delta\vec r
    $$
    My question concerns only rotational dynamics, so let's focus on just the torques. Let us rename ##\vec F## to ##\vec M## just to make it clear that we are talking about torques (moments):
    $$
    \delta W=\vec M \cdot \delta\vec r
    $$
    Expressed in the quadcopter frame (call it frame ##B##), the moments exerted by the propellers on the quadcopter are, generally:
    $$
    \vec M=\begin{bmatrix}
    \tau_x^B \\ \tau_y^B \\ \tau_z^B
    \end{bmatrix}
    $$
    Because we are talking about moments, the "position" vector ##\vec r## actually holds the rotations expressed in the same frame as ##\vec M##. Because I express ##\vec M## in the ##B## frame, I need to express the rotations in the ##B## frame. I am using the Tait-Bryan Euler angle convention. Starting from the inertial frame ##I## then:

1. Yaw by ##\psi## around ##z_I##, the result is the ##\{x',y',z'\}## frame
    - Corresponding rotation matrix is ##R_\psi##
    2. Pitch by ##\theta## around ##y'##, the result is the ##\{x'',y'',z''\}## frame
    - Corresponding rotation matrix is ##R_\theta##
    3. Roll by ##\phi## around ##x''##, the result is the ##\{x_B,y_B,z_B\}## frame
    - Corresponding rotation matrix is ##R_\phi##

You see that each Euler angle is in a different frame: ##\psi## is in the ##I## frame, ##\theta## is in the ##(')## frame and ##\phi## is in the ##('')## frame. From what I know, we transform between angular rates in the ##B## frame and the Euler angle time derivatives using:

$$
    \dot\omega=R_\phi\begin{bmatrix}\dot\phi\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}+
    R_\phi R_\theta\begin{bmatrix}0\\\dot\theta\\0\end{bmatrix}+
    R_\phi R_\theta R_\psi\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\\dot\psi\end{bmatrix}
    $$

However, ##\dot\omega## is not integrable (see sub-section 3.17 of http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc/tmp/HermanBruyninckx-robotics.pdf). Therefore angles in the body frame as such do not exist and I cannot simply write:

$$
    \vec r=R_\phi\begin{bmatrix}\phi\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}+
    R_\phi R_\theta\begin{bmatrix}0\\\theta\\0\end{bmatrix}+
    R_\phi R_\theta R_\psi\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\\psi\end{bmatrix}
    $$

Where ##\vec r## is our "position" vector in the virtual work equation containing three angles in the ##B## frame identifying the quad-copter's attitude. The end motivation is to apply the generalized force relation:
    $$
    Q_j=\sum_{i=1}^N{\vec F_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec r_i}{\partial q_j}}
    $$
    Where ##q_j## are the generalized coordinates, for me these are:

##q_1=\phi##
    ##q_2=\theta##
    ##q_3=\psi##

I really appreciate your help for my question: find the expression for the generalized forces ##Q_j## (well, generalized torque really in this case).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook