Calculate Vertical Displacement at Point C with Virtual Loads in Truss

In summary, to calculate the vertical displacement at point C in a truss with virtual loads, the method of virtual work is used. This involves equating the work done by the virtual loads to the work done by the actual loads on the structure. Virtual loads are imaginary loads used in the calculation process, and the method of virtual work is a technique used in structural analysis. Assumptions made when using virtual loads include a linear-elastic structure, no permanent deformation, and static equilibrium. Virtual loads can be used in all types of trusses, but may require more complex calculations for indeterminate trusses.
vtaela
Hi

I am trying to calculate the vertical displacement at point C for the following diagram

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/57161

So far i have calculated the forces in each member and i now need to calculate the Virtual forces!

I applied a virtual load at point c of 1 KN.

I also know that our structure is symmetrical!

Can you please help me to continue

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There's something wrong with your attachment. Please repost.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1364403252.981152.jpg

I have calculated tge vertical displacement to be 0.0172 mm

for reaching out. Calculating the vertical displacement at point C with virtual loads in a truss involves using the principle of virtual work. This principle states that the work done by the external virtual forces on a structure is equal to the work done by the internal forces. This allows us to calculate the displacement at a specific point by applying a virtual load and solving for the corresponding displacement.

To proceed with your calculation, you will need to set up an equilibrium equation for the forces at point C. This will include the virtual load of 1 KN, as well as the forces from the members of the truss. Since the structure is symmetrical, you can use symmetry to simplify your calculations. This means that the forces in the members on either side of point C will be equal and opposite.

Next, you will need to apply the principle of virtual work by equating the work done by the virtual load to the work done by the internal forces. This will give you an equation that you can solve for the displacement at point C.

I hope this helps you continue with your calculation. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the vertical displacement at point C in a truss with virtual loads?

To calculate the vertical displacement at point C in a truss with virtual loads, you will need to use the method of virtual work. This involves calculating the work done by the virtual loads on the structure and equating it to the work done by the actual loads on the structure. The resulting equation can then be solved to determine the vertical displacement at point C.

2. What are virtual loads in a truss?

Virtual loads are an imaginary set of loads that are applied to a truss structure in order to determine its response. These loads are not physically applied to the structure, but are used in the calculation process to determine the displacement, stresses, and other properties of the truss.

3. What is the method of virtual work?

The method of virtual work is a technique used in structural analysis to determine the displacement, stresses, and other properties of a structure. It involves using the principle of virtual work, which states that the work done by external virtual loads on a structure is equal to the work done by the actual loads on the structure.

4. What assumptions are made when using virtual loads in truss analysis?

When using virtual loads in truss analysis, it is assumed that the structure is linear-elastic, meaning that it behaves according to Hooke's law. It is also assumed that the virtual loads do not cause any permanent deformation in the structure, and that the structure remains in static equilibrium throughout the analysis.

5. Can virtual loads be used in all types of trusses?

Yes, virtual loads can be used in all types of trusses, including statically determinate and indeterminate trusses. However, the method of virtual work may be more complex for indeterminate trusses and may require additional equations and calculations.