Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virus r something else ?

1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    Virus r something else ????

Im using Win XP Pro.
    I have downloaded the latest fix from microsoft site. Ran it.
    Downloaded the latest virus definitions. Installed it.
    But still my computer crashes unexpectedly.
    Sometimes it shows Blue screen.
    Sometimes some kinda err in lasass.exe
    Sometimes shuts down in 60 secs.
    What went wrong ?
    Somebody help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2
    You scaned your HD before you downloaded them ?
    You are having two computers and both have XPPro installed ?

4. Jun 27, 2004 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It isn't a virus. It is a worm. To be more exact is is the sasser worm or a type of variant. You don't need to do anything to get it. I suggest unplugging the internet, turning on atleast the built in microsoft firewall, plugging back the internet, finally going to windows update and downloading every patch there is.

5. Jun 27, 2004 #4
    I ran all the latest patch available from microsoft website.
    I even updated the Norton Antivirus definitions and scanned my computer.
    But still ...

6. Jun 27, 2004 #5
    I’m with dduardo.. you’ve been hit with the sasser worm… check this link http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_125007.htm and under the symptoms section see if it resembles what you are seeing. If so follow the instructions there to remove it.

Try the manual removal instructions… however the windows updates should have taken care of it.

HTH,

7. Jun 28, 2004 #6

Moe

To avoid your PC from shutting down:

When you see the window that tells you the PC will shut down in 60 seconds, click on Start. Then select "Run". In the new window that appears type this text:
    Code (Text):
    shutdown -a
    You have now prevented the shutdown (once) and have enough time to download a Sasser removal tool and kill the virus. Note: before you kill the virus, visit windows update and make sure you have the latest updates installed, or you will get hit again right away.
    Further note: It is important to turn off System Restore before removing the worm, or the restore function will restore the virus after reboot. Instructions on how to do that can be found on the symantec website, for instance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?