Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscoelastic Material Properties

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1

minger

Science Advisor

Hello all; I am looking for material properties for some viscoelastic materials, specifically ones that I need to input into ANSYS for analysis.

More specifically these are the quantities that I'm looking for:

Shear Relaxation Kernel Function
    [tex] G(\xi) = G_{\infty} + \sum^{n_G}_{i=1} G_i e^{(-\xi / \lambda^G_i)} [/tex]

Bulk Relaxation Kernel Function
    [tex] K(\xi) = K_{\infty} + \sum^{n_K}_{i=1} G_i e^{(-\xi / \lambda^K_i)} [/tex]

[tex]G_i = C_i (G_0 - G_{\infty}) [/tex]

[tex]K_i = D_i (K_0 - G_{\infty}) [/tex]

Where [tex]\xi[/tex] is the reduced or pseudo time
    n_G = number of Maxwell elements used to approximate the shear relaxation kernel
    n_K = number of Maxwell elements used to approximate the bulk relaxation kernel
    C_i = constants associated with the instantaneous response for shear behavior
    D_i = constants associated with the instantaneous response for bulk behavior
    G_0 = initial shear modulus
    G_infinity = final shear modulus
    K_0 = initial bulk modulus
    K_infinity = final bulk modulus
    [tex]\lambda^G_i[/tex] constants associated with a discrete relaxation spectrum in shear
    [tex]\lambda^K_i[/tex] constants associated with a discrete relaxation spectrum in bulk

I've read up a little on the Maxwell model, and I really only need one element; but I'm way over my head. I really have no idea where to start.

I could really use some help, thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted