Viscoelasticity analysis question

• Thread starter sarkamato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
If you are not able to obtain the modulus from the graph, you can use the formula derivation method to calculate it. In summary, drawing a tangent line on the stress relaxation test graph can help determine the modulus or dashpot viscosity of the maxwell body.
sarkamato
Let's say I have a maxwell body, with a behavior of exponential decay in stress relaxation test. Let's say that that a graph obtained from multiple tests of high molecular polyethleyne.

my question is if I took this graph and drew a tangent line (derivative) about a point what will this represent?
I thought about it, and I think its either the modulus or the dashpot viscosity. based on the formula derivation stress = Ke^((-E/n)t)
where
ds/dt = -E(1/n)*s s = stress

if its not a modulus, then how would I obtain the modulus?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The tangent line you draw from the graph will represent the rate of change of the stress over time, or the derivative of the stress with respect to time. This information can be used to calculate the modulus by using the equation: Modulus = Stress/Strain. In this case, the modulus would be equal to the slope of the tangent line divided by the strain value at that point.

What is viscoelasticity analysis?

Viscoelasticity analysis is the study of the time-dependent behavior of materials that exhibit both elastic (recoverable) and viscous (non-recoverable) properties. This analysis is important in understanding the mechanical behavior of materials such as polymers, rubbers, and biological tissues.

What are some common methods used in viscoelasticity analysis?

Some common methods used in viscoelasticity analysis include strain-rate dependent tests, creep and stress relaxation tests, dynamic mechanical analysis, and rheological measurements.

What is the difference between elastic and viscous behavior?

Elastic behavior refers to the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being deformed, while viscous behavior refers to the tendency of a material to flow and not return to its original shape after being deformed. Materials exhibiting both elastic and viscous behavior are known as viscoelastic.

What are the applications of viscoelasticity analysis?

Viscoelasticity analysis has a wide range of applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, biomedical, and consumer products. It is used to design and test materials for specific applications, such as tires, gaskets, medical implants, and packaging materials.

How does temperature affect viscoelastic behavior?

Temperature has a significant impact on the viscoelastic behavior of materials. As temperature increases, the viscous behavior of a material also increases, causing it to become softer and more deformable. This is why materials such as rubber become more pliable and stretchy in warmer temperatures.