1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscosity Average Molecular weight using GPC data and Mark–Houwink-Sakurada equation

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to calculate Mv as part of a lab using GPC data for a polystyrene polymer that I produced with a known polystyrene standard. for the produced PS I have a = .678 and K = .00018 and the standard has a = .725 and K = .011. intrinsic viscosity was measured as .2346
    Mn for the polymer from GPC is 23097 g/mol (for reference)
    The solvent is THF, I'm not sure if the GPC is conventionally or universally calibrated

2. Relevant equations
    IV (eta) = K*Mv^a (Mark–Houwink-Sakurada equation)

ln (Mv) (of PS produced) = 1/(asa + 1) * ln (Kst/Ksa) + (ast + 1) / (asa + 1) * ln (Mvst)
    (sa = produced sample, st = standard) (equation correcting for GPC universal calibration)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the Mark–Houwink-Sakurada equation and got Mv = 68.08 for the standard
    I then used the below equation to solve for my sample and got Mv = 880.62

I am confused as to why this number is so much lower than the Mn or Mw. Is this normal or am I using the wrong procedure or equation to calculate this value?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    Re: Viscosity Average Molecular weight using GPC data and Mark–Houwink-Sakurada equat

Never mind, apparently the lab manual worded this question very strangely. We were supposed to compare a and K from the literature to the ones from the GPC but only use the Mark–Houwink-Sakurada equation using the GPC values. Doing this gets an Mv of 38419 which is much more sensible (and ignore the effects of calibration method).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook