Calculating Fluid Pressure for Viscosity-Injection Problem

• Thread starter afg_91320
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using Poisellous Law for Viscous flow to determine the pressure of the fluid in a hypodermic syringe attached to a needle. The needle has an internal radius of 0.300mm and length of 3.00cm, and is filled with a solution of viscosity 2.00 x 10^(-3) Pa.S. The solution is injected at a vein with a gauge pressure of 16mm Hg, and the goal is to find the pressure needed in the syringe to inject the solution at a rate of 0.250 mL/s. Through the discussion, it is determined that the answer is 6850 Pa.
afg_91320

Homework Statement

Question Details:
A hypodermic syringe is attached to a needle that has an internal radius = .300mm and Length=3.00cm
The needle is filled with solution of viscosity= 2.00 x 10^(-3) Pa.S
And injected at a vein with a gauge pressure of 16mm Hg
What must the pressure of the fluid in the syringe be in order to inject the solution at a rate of .250 mL/s?

Answer = 6850 Pa

Homework Equations

Poisellous equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use Poisellous Law for Viscous flow
this is my setup

delta p =
[(8/pi *delta V/ delta t)/(r4)]*L*Viscosity

and here i should be able to solve for fluid pressure

my gauge pressure us 16mm Hg-do i need to convert it to Pa?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you need to "manipulate velocity into the equation"? 0.250 mL/s is the volumetric flow rate, delta-V/delta-t.

oh wow...my bad...never mind -_-

thanks!

does anyone how delta p and gauge pressure are related?
i need to find pressure of fluid, and delta p is only unkown variable i have...so i know
i am solving for it, right?

Well, blood pressure is at 16mm Hg + atmospheric pressure and you just found delta-P, so just add them together and you'll get the pressure in the needle.

ok I am not getting the answer which is suppose to be 6850 Pa.
anyone able to help me out here??

It looks like the question is looking for the gauge pressure inside the syringe, not total pressure.

yes it is-so how would i approach the problem?

You know the pressure inside the blood vessel and you know delta-P, the difference in pressure. It's very easy to get the answer from those two values.

What is the "Viscosity-injection problem"?

The "Viscosity-injection problem" is a scientific concept that refers to a phenomenon where the injection of a fluid with a high viscosity (thickness) into a porous material can lead to a decrease in the permeability of the material, making it harder for the fluid to flow through it.

What causes the "Viscosity-injection problem"?

The "Viscosity-injection problem" is caused by the interaction between the high viscosity fluid and the porous material. As the fluid flows through the pores of the material, it exerts a drag force on the walls of the pores, which can cause them to collapse or clog, reducing the overall permeability of the material.

What are the implications of the "Viscosity-injection problem"?

The "Viscosity-injection problem" can have significant implications in a variety of scientific and engineering fields. It can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of processes such as oil extraction, groundwater remediation, and drug delivery. It can also impact the design and performance of materials and structures that rely on fluid flow, such as filters and membranes.

How can the "Viscosity-injection problem" be mitigated?

There are several strategies that can be used to mitigate the "Viscosity-injection problem", including altering the properties of the injected fluid, such as its viscosity and density, or modifying the properties of the porous material, such as its pore size and structure. Other approaches include using additives or coatings to prevent pore collapse or clogging, and optimizing the injection process to minimize the effects of the problem.

What is the role of viscosity in the "Viscosity-injection problem"?

Viscosity plays a critical role in the "Viscosity-injection problem" as it determines the resistance of a fluid to flow. The higher the viscosity of the injected fluid, the greater the drag force it exerts on the pores of the material, and the more pronounced the "Viscosity-injection problem" becomes. Therefore, understanding and controlling the viscosity of the injected fluid is essential in addressing this problem.