Why does the duration of an egg yolk spin depend on its viscosity?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the viscosity of an egg yolk without breaking it. The suggested method is to spin the egg and time how long it takes to stop spinning. There is uncertainty about whether this method will accurately measure the yolk's viscosity and if there are other proposed techniques. There is also difficulty in distinguishing between the yolk and white viscosity and a suggestion to parboil the egg. The duration of the spin is believed to be a factor in determining the yolk's viscosity.
DANIneplanets
Hello, we were given a project in class to determine the viscosity of the egg yolk without breaking it. That is the exact question given to us. I researched and the only thing I found is that I should spin the egg to determine the viscosity. I have a tray of eggs and I just spun it and timed how long it spins. What else should i do? Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
determine the viscosity of the egg yolk without breaking it
Without breaking the egg's shell? Or, without scrambling the separated yolk? Which?

What techniques are others in the class proposing?

The difficulty I see is distinguishing between viscosity of the yolk and that of the white. Perhaps you could parboil it, but it would be hard to know whether you've judged it correctly.
Leaving that aside, provide some reason why the duration of the spin will depend on the viscosity.

1. What is the viscosity of egg yolk?

The viscosity of egg yolk varies depending on several factors such as temperature, freshness, and the type of egg. On average, the viscosity can range from 1500 to 6000 cP (centipoise).

2. How does temperature affect the viscosity of egg yolk?

When heated, the viscosity of egg yolk decreases, making it more fluid and easier to mix with other ingredients. On the other hand, when cooled, the viscosity increases, making it thicker and more resistant to flow.

3. Why is the viscosity of egg yolk important in cooking?

The viscosity of egg yolk plays a crucial role in cooking as it affects the texture and consistency of dishes. For example, in custards or sauces, a higher viscosity of egg yolk can create a thicker and creamier texture, while a lower viscosity can result in a runnier consistency.

4. How does the viscosity of egg yolk change with age?

The viscosity of egg yolk increases as the egg ages. This is because the protein structure of the yolk changes over time, becoming denser and more viscous. This can affect the outcome of dishes, so it is important to use fresher eggs for recipes that require a specific viscosity.

5. Can the viscosity of egg yolk be altered?

Yes, the viscosity of egg yolk can be altered by adding certain ingredients such as sugar, salt, or acid. These can alter the protein structure and change the viscosity of the yolk. Additionally, using different cooking techniques, such as heating or cooling, can also affect the viscosity of egg yolk.