Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscosity of the system?

1. Dec 23, 2005 #1
    Say the reaction is like:

A + B <=> C + D

and i know the individual concentrations of the reactants and products.

Is there any equation to find the viscosity of the system?

Any softwares to simulate??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you may want to looking through the ibm research site as they have nice softwares related to such physical parameters. If you know of a way to relate the density of such a system with viscosity and surface tension, such matters can be elucidated simply by browsing through a physical chemistry text. You'll need to be more specific if you wish to further discuss the matter.

4. Dec 24, 2005 #3
    more specific???
    ok. as much as the details i know...

I have a reaction as mentioned before. Say if i have the reaction kinetics also.
    I would be knowing the concentration or mass fraction of each component(A,B,C and D) at a given time.

I have the viscosity data for different mass fractions of the components(from CRC book).

But i need to know the viscosity of the whole system?

I know that viscosity is not additive. But is there any relation/function relating individual viscosities of the system to the viscosity of the whole system?

To be very short and brief,
    I have X and Y of known viscosity each. What will be the viscosity of its mixture if i mix the known quantities of X and Y ?

5. Dec 24, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll have to do some research myself, at this point nothing specific springs to mind, but I would imagine that this is somewhat similar to the molar volume graphical data against the extent of reaction such as that for ethanol and water in which the two will interact for a non-ideal solution density. But for now the following links may be of help

http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~evans/evansmorrissbook.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous

6. Dec 24, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Likely determining the viscosity would require a table lookup for each component (element or molecular species) which would involve temperature and pressure. Phase would be important - gases have lower viscosity than liquids, and another consideration would be whether one component is dispersed in the other, e.g. fine microdroplets of gasoline in air/oxygen.

Such data have been available in the JANAF tables, which I believe have been put in electronic format.

http://www.nist.gov/srd/thermo.htm

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?