1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscosity of Water

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi guys, I need to find the flow of water at temperature of 350K. I had to do this, but for air in the same problem...but I can't find an equation to account for the viscosity change, due to temperature rise. My book lists it at 86.0 x 10^-5 Pa*s @ temp 300K.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've searched the web for some time now, and can't find any equations for water. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google for "viscosity water temperature".

4. Jan 20, 2007 #3
    Ok, so I found the page(thanks)....and the first link takes me right to what I need. But....the viscosity is dynamic(is that the same as just plain viscosity?).......and also, they have it measured in kg/m*s and I need it measured in Pa*s. Again, I've looked in my book and on the net, and I can't find out how you convert between those two.

The only conversion that I found(and I don't think it works)...but its 1kg(force)/m^2 = 9.806650 Pa.

5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    Does anyone know about these conversions.....???

6. Jan 21, 2007 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1 Pascal (Pa) is 1 Newton/m^2

1 Newton (N) is the force to accelerate 1 Kg at 1 m/s^2

So 1 Pa.s = 1 N.s/m^2 = 1 (Kg.m/s^2).(s/m^2) = 1 Kg/(m.s)

BTW There are two different units for viscosity, dynamic and kinematic. Kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity / density. The one you want is dynamic viscosity.

7. Jan 21, 2007 #6
    Oh ok.....so they are the same units then(or equivilant)....I guess I didn't put to much time into it, seems pretty obvious now, duh. ha. Well thanks though, I really appreciate you showing me the right direction!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?