1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscosity question

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I have a question about the viscosity of fluids: If I know the viscosity of one fluid, say 1 Pa.s, and I add a portion of water (say for example 1 part water to 9 parts fluid), viscosity 0.89 × 10^-3 Pa.s, what is the viscosity of the new mixture? I have done an experiment for school where we mixed corn syrup with water in different concentrations (90%, 80%, etc) and need to work out the viscosity of each mixture.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2
    Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to do a weighted average? I'd imagine that, if the two fluids are well mixed, you could just use that method.

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I think I know what you mean. Are you sure that's an ok way to do it?

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4
    For Newtonian fluids I think it's fine; to be honest, I've never come across a situation where I've had to do that, but I can't think of a reason off the top of my head that it wouldn't be at least reasonably accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?