Viscosity of Fluid Mixtures: Calculating Pa.s

• Thread starter flash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Viscosity
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the viscosity of a mixture of fluids, specifically water and corn syrup, based on their individual viscosities and concentrations. The suggestion is made to use a weighted average method to find the viscosity of the new mixture, which is deemed to be an accurate approach for Newtonian fluids.
flash
Hi,
I have a question about the viscosity of fluids: If I know the viscosity of one fluid, say 1 Pa.s, and I add a portion of water (say for example 1 part water to 9 parts fluid), viscosity 0.89 × 10^-3 Pa.s, what is the viscosity of the new mixture? I have done an experiment for school where we mixed corn syrup with water in different concentrations (90%, 80%, etc) and need to work out the viscosity of each mixture.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to do a weighted average? I'd imagine that, if the two fluids are well mixed, you could just use that method.

Thanks for the reply. I think I know what you mean. Are you sure that's an ok way to do it?

For Newtonian fluids I think it's fine; to be honest, I've never come across a situation where I've had to do that, but I can't think of a reason off the top of my head that it wouldn't be at least reasonably accurate.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property that describes how easily a fluid can be deformed by an applied force, such as shear stress.

2. How is viscosity calculated?

Viscosity is typically calculated using the formula Pa.s (Pascal-seconds), which is equal to the product of shear stress and the rate of shear strain. It can also be measured experimentally using a viscometer.

3. What is the difference between dynamic and kinematic viscosity?

Dynamic viscosity is a measure of the internal friction within a fluid, while kinematic viscosity takes into account the fluid's density. Dynamic viscosity is measured in Pa.s, while kinematic viscosity is measured in m2/s.

4. What factors affect the viscosity of fluid mixtures?

The viscosity of fluid mixtures can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the mixture. Adding different substances or changing the temperature can alter the intermolecular forces within the mixture, impacting its viscosity.

5. Why is it important to calculate the viscosity of fluid mixtures?

The viscosity of a fluid mixture is an important parameter in many industrial processes, as it can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of operations such as pumping and mixing. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of complex fluids, such as emulsions and suspensions.