Viscous Drag of Water: Effects & Understanding

In summary, the water is slower at the bottom because the viscosity of the water holds the pressure higher near the bottom of the channel, and the slower moving water will have a lower flow rate.
aladinlamp
Hi
i want to understand effects of viscious drag of water in fixed cross section open channel flow.
My understanding is water viscosity and channel surface create drag opposing movement of water, changing kinetic energy of water to heat.
Result is warmer water and slower water flow.
If the water flow in channel should maintain constant Q per second, lost kinetic energy has to be replenished by water head , potential energy,gravity, slope of open channel...etc. Is this explanation correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, But say what you wish to say. Please don't play "twenty questions"

Likes Vanadium 50
freefall.jpg

I want to know how it applies to this scenario
u have long channel without slope H1 = H2
according to above, water closer to free fall should be slower and warmer,
slower water would mean lower Q2, but that's not the case in reality since Q1=Q2
what am i missing here ?

You are missing that the water is essentially incompressible so Q2 is not slower. Viscosity causes the pressure to vary along the pipe (not flow rate), with pressure highest at the left end.

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
I don't understand what pressure are you talking about, its open channel flow not flow in the pipe

1648727725046.png

aladinlamp said:
I don't understand what pressure are you talking about, its open channel flow not flow in the pipe

View attachment 299188
In that case, the viscous drag balances the along-channel component of the gravitational force on the fluid.

Unless my intuition is mistaken, there will have to be some slope to the open channel so that the gravitational head will match the pressure head that would otherwise exist in an unpitched, closed channel with a similar flow rate.

In the absence of such a slope, the water surface itself will slope downward toward the exit -- a shallower, faster moving stream toward the exit in order to maintain an equilibrium.

Likes Lnewqban and Chestermiller
What you're missing is that your premise is nonphysical. You need a slope to maintain that flow, and as jbriggs said, if your channel isn't sloped, the water surface still will be.

ok ,if the channel is 100km long, H1 is 1 meter H2 is zero, than slope angle along whole channel is really negligible as you can see in calculation
for 1km part of the channel, it is 100x smaller angle
so how can this molecular level slope drive the water forward
Q on 100km long channel is not 100x smaller than on 1 km channel
Q on 100km long channel is not 1000x smaller than on 0.1 km channel

1648884699842.png

1 meter drop in 100km? Your flow rate will be negligibly small. You'd effectively have a stagnant channel.

Likes jbriggs444
Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
aladinlamp said:
Hi
i want to understand effects of viscious drag of water in fixed cross section open channel flow.
My understanding is water viscosity and channel surface create drag opposing movement of water, changing kinetic energy of water to heat.
Result is warmer water and slower water flow.
If the water flow in channel should maintain constant Q per second, lost kinetic energy has to be replenished by water head , potential energy,gravity, slope of open channel...etc. Is this explanation correct so far?
Perhaps the problem with that description is that it happens backwards in real life.
Without a driving force, the molecules of water will not move horizontally.
The natural balance that is reached between that driving force and the resistive force determines the unique terminal velocity of the whole mass-flow of water.
The heating also reaches a natural balance with the cooling effect of surfaces temperature and evaporation.

1. What is viscous drag of water?

Viscous drag of water is the force that resists the motion of an object through water due to the viscosity, or thickness, of the water. It is caused by the friction between the water molecules and the surface of the object.

2. How does the viscosity of water affect the drag force?

The higher the viscosity of water, the greater the drag force. This is because thicker water has more resistance to movement, resulting in a stronger force opposing the motion of the object.

3. What factors can impact the viscosity of water?

The viscosity of water can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. Higher temperatures and lower pressures can decrease the viscosity, while impurities or additives can increase it.

4. How is the understanding of viscous drag of water important in scientific research?

The understanding of viscous drag of water is important in many fields of science, such as fluid mechanics, marine biology, and oceanography. It helps researchers to predict and understand the movement of objects in water, as well as the behavior of marine organisms and the effects of ocean currents.

5. Can the effects of viscous drag be reduced?

Yes, the effects of viscous drag can be reduced by decreasing the viscosity of water or by making the object more streamlined. This can be achieved through various methods such as using lubricants, altering the shape of the object, or reducing the surface roughness.