Viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation: Control Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with a rotary viscous drag and the need for two equations to accurately describe it. The system is depicted in a poor diagram, but it is possible to infer the functions of the various components based on their dimensions. The solution involves labeling the rotor and using two equations, one for θ1/τ and one for θ2/θ1, to ultimately find the transfer function θ2/τ.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

WPAKuf4.png

https://i.imgur.com/WPAKuf4.png

seeking [itex]G(s) = \frac{\theta_2(s)}{\tau(s)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What does it mean when the viscous drag is parallel to the axis of rotation?[/B]

It also turns out that this system needs two equations. I can sort of see why, even though it doesn't have two masses, I'm not 100% sure though, how to break this system up into two equations, where and how to make the break.

Any help at all would be very appreciated, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a truly awful diagram .

Nevertheless it is possible to work out what the various bits do if we assume that this is a purely rotary system .

Those damper terms and the energy accumulator term all act in a rotary sense and not in the linear sense depicted . You can infer this anyway from their dimensions - they are all quoted as being per radian .

kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210469

https://i.imgur.com/WPAKuf4.png

seeking [itex]G(s) = \frac{\theta_2(s)}{\tau(s)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What does it mean when the viscous drag is parallel to the axis of rotation?[/B]
poor statement but just assume there is rotational drag torque in those three places.

It also turns out that this system needs two equations. I can sort of see why, even though it doesn't have two masses, I'm not 100% sure though, how to break this system up into two equations, where and how to make the break.
I would label the right-hand side of the rotor θ1, then you can have θ1/τ as the 1st equation and θ21 as the 2nd equation, then multiply the two transfer functions to get θ2/τ.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation?

Viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation refers to the resistance or force that opposes the movement of an object in a fluid (such as air or water) when the object is rotating around its axis.

2. How is viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation measured?

Viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation is typically measured using a device called a viscometer, which measures the viscosity of a fluid by recording the time it takes for an object to pass through the fluid.

3. What is the relationship between viscous drag and control systems?

Control systems are used to regulate and control the movement of objects, and viscous drag can have a significant impact on the performance of these systems. Control systems must take into account the effects of viscous drag in order to accurately control the movement of objects.

4. How can viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation be reduced?

Viscous drag can be reduced by using streamlined designs that minimize the surface area of an object in contact with the fluid. Additionally, using lubricants or coatings can also help reduce viscous drag.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation?

Understanding viscous drag parallel to the axis of rotation is important in many fields, including aerospace engineering, marine engineering, and automotive engineering. It is used to design more efficient and streamlined vehicles, as well as to improve the performance of control systems in various industries.