1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscous fluid moving in a pipe

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    A viscous fluid is moving through a pipe. The flow is 2 x 10^-3 m3/s
    then you have a second tube with a fluid with twice the viscosity which is moving in a pipe whose length is 3 times the original with a radius 1.5 times the original. The pressure difference across this new pipe is 1/3 that of the original. What is the flow in the new pipe?
    Again I have no idea where to start. What is the formula? I wonder if anyone could figure out how fast my professor could travel down that pipe of course using the same diameter? Sorry I just had to say it. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2
    mary d,
    maybe I'm mistaken but it seems to me that this lecture goes thru hydrodnamics at a very quick pace, deriving some formulae for practical use by engineers or scientists. It looks to me like the lecture's intention is not a profound understanding of physical principles, but rather to give the students a 'toolbox' for further use. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This problem looks like an exercise in Hagen-Poiseuille's law, which states

dp/dz = -8 eta R-2 v

where
    z is horizontal position along pipe,
    p is pressure at position z,
    eta is viscosity of liquid,
    R is radius of round pipe,
    v is mean velocity of liquid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?