Is Visiting Graduate Schools During the Application Process Beneficial?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of visiting graduate schools in math during the application process. Some argue that it is beneficial for gaining a better understanding of the programs and making a favorable impression on faculty, while others believe it is more appropriate to visit after being admitted. It is recommended to research the faculty and department beforehand and consider factors such as location and fit. Some schools may offer to pay for a visit after acceptance, but it is also possible for prospective applicants to be invited for interviews or tours. Ultimately, it is important to visit a school before attending to ensure it is a good fit.
lormanv
I will be applying to graduate schools in math this fall; is it a good idea to visit them during the application process?

I have heard people give different answers to this question, and I would like some more opinions. I have in mind only the schools in the area, and I don't plan on going too far out of my way to visit. On the one hand, visiting, talking to faculty, and sitting in on classes would be interesting and would give me a better idea of which of the programs I would rather attend. On the other hand, some might argue that the time to do this is after I have been admitted. Visiting schools might also help with admissions: if I talk to and make a favorable impression on faculty and they end up on the admissions committee, it may set my application apart to some small extent. But I have also heard that some professors don't like students to visit before they have been admitted, and may even try to balance out having met with the student by judging the student's application more strictly. So, I am not sure what to do. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know students who visited campuses before they entered university, and I think it a good idea to do so for graduate school. If one has already decided which grad school one is attending, then perhaps it is not a hot idea.

If one is undecided about grad school, I'd recommend looking up the faculty and research on the relevant departments webpage - and then visit the campus of interest.

Also, I would advise reading journal articles published by professors in the relevant areas of one's academic interest.

If math is like physics/chemistry, then they'll pay for you to visit after you're admitted -- indeed, they'll wine and dine you, in a lovely reversal of the admissions process whereby they try to conving you of their worthiness. Visiting before applying only saves you the application fee, which may not be worth your time and travel dollars.

I'd say that sitting in on classes won't tell you much, though (but I've always preached the same about the undergrad level, and no one listens to me). Grad school is about research, and coursework is secondary; your focus should be on meeting professors and current students.

I think it's a good idea to go and check them out. You're likely going to spend the next few years at that institution, so it's important to explore what it has to offer. It's been my experience that most faculty enjoy meeting with prospective students (provided they have time - so it's in your best interest to plan ahead). You can also talk to current students, figure out where the good/bad places to live are, what people do in their down time, whether or not you like the city, and otherwise evaluate whether or not the school will be a good fit for you.

You can only get so much information from a web page.

If they offer to pay for it I say go for it but don't feel pressured to go just because they sprung for a plane ticket. It's in their budget to do this.

It can be a lot of fun and cool to have someone fly you out to visit.

lormanv said:
On the other hand, some might argue that the time to do this is after I have been admitted.
I have not heard of a single school offering to pay for a prospective applicant to visit.

Whats the point of visiting a school you haven't been admitted to , if you are not admitted it is a waste of time. As others have suggested decide on schools to apply based on research and youre rough impression, wait to be admitted then dive into the details.

Well you've just met one. 3 of the schools I wanted to attend invited me out for free wine and dine and one of them even bought me a plane ticket (which was from southern ontario Canada to east coast Canada so it probably wasn't cheap) and gave me a hotel voucher type thingy and daily allowance for the weekend.

And I didn't end up going there...

What would be the point in wining and dining you if you'd already accepted the offer?

Some schools do pay for your travel expenses to come and visit them to meet the profs. I think they call it an interview, but it's really like you interviewing them, because it happens after you've been accepted. You should try to visit the schools you've been accepted to if they're in the running for where you're wanting to go. I would wait until you've been accepted.

maverick_starstrider said:
Well you've just met one. 3 of the schools I wanted to attend invited me out for free wine and dine and one of them even bought me a plane ticket (which was from southern ontario Canada to east coast Canada so it probably wasn't cheap) and gave me a hotel voucher type thingy and daily allowance for the weekend.

I said no prospective applicant not prospective student. I even bolded prospective and applicant.

Prospective applicant - A possible applicant to a program ie someone who has not yet applied

Prospective student - A applicant who has been accepted by the program or is on the verge of being accepted that is being encouraged to join program.

If you are a prospective student you are wine/dined like a pretty 19 year old girl.

I think it's a good idea to visit any school before you attend. If you can't stand the place or the people, better to find out in advance if possible.

Many years ago, I was flown out and given a tour of the grad school I ultimately attended. But more importantly, the prospective student visits were an opportunity for the department to give some of the current grad students free food... so even if you aren't sure, think of the poor, starving students and go visit anyway.

lormanv said:
I will be applying to graduate schools in math this fall; is it a good idea to visit them during the application process?
needs to be re-emphasized since so much prospective student advice is being given.

Oh ya. Good point j93. Ya, I'd definately wait to know that you're accepted before you visit and at that point they'll pay for it.

What is the purpose of visiting graduate schools?

The purpose of visiting graduate schools is to get a firsthand experience of the campus, facilities, and community in order to make an informed decision about which graduate school to attend. It also allows you to meet with faculty and current students, attend classes and events, and get a feel for the overall academic environment.

When is the best time to visit graduate schools?

The best time to visit graduate schools is typically during the fall or spring semester. This allows you to see the campus when it is in full swing, with students and faculty present. It also gives you the opportunity to attend classes and events, and get a sense of the academic atmosphere. However, if you are unable to visit during these times, you can still schedule a visit during the summer or winter break.

How do I schedule a visit to a graduate school?

You can schedule a visit to a graduate school by contacting the admissions office or department of your desired program. They will be able to provide you with information on available dates and times, as well as help you plan your visit. It is recommended to schedule your visit at least a few weeks in advance to ensure availability.

What should I do during my visit to a graduate school?

During your visit to a graduate school, you should take a campus tour, attend information sessions and events, meet with faculty and current students, sit in on classes, and explore the surrounding area. It is also important to come prepared with questions and take notes to help you make an informed decision about the school.

Is it necessary to visit every graduate school I am considering?

It is not necessary to visit every graduate school you are considering, but it is highly recommended. Visiting allows you to gather important information that may not be available online or through other resources. However, if you are unable to visit a certain school, you can still gather information through virtual tours, online resources, and speaking with current students or alumni.