Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vista DRM?

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    I've been reading a lot about the DRM debate and am kind of left a bit confused. I could care less whether my PC can play "premium content" because I don't use my PC for that really. However, I do a lot of video editing, I tinker alot, and I care about whether my PC is using more resources then necessary (that may seem ironic since it can be argued that Vista itself uses more than necessary). My questions are these:

1. Can certain hardware or peripherals be "turned off" for whatever reason using the new features of Vista?

2. Will videos that I create or other user created content be played at lower resolutions or run at lower performance/quality for whatever reason based on DRM or other protections?

3. I heard that this DRM stuff polls every 30 seconds to make sure whatever is being played, is legit. Is this true and does this happen even when content is NOT being played? I.E. Is it consuming resources by doing unnecessary polling when it shouldn't need to?

I read all this stuff from here: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2
    The hell with Microsoft, I wouldn't pay them a dime anymore, even if my life was counting on it...
    The next OS that I'll install would be a Open Source...
    Unfortunately for now I'm sticking with my WinXp, I'm addicted to playing video games, and seem so far there is no worthy game to be played on Open source OS...
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. Mar 17, 2007 #3
    MS is just looking to make money like any other Corporation. If their product won't work for me, I won't buy it. Plain and simple. Do you know if any of that stuff is true that I asked about?
  5. Mar 17, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by hardware or peripherals being "turned off" but I do know that a couple of the people I work with recently got new computers with Vista installed on them, and they are having a hard time getting printer drivers for any of the printers they have. They've had some other issues that have been resolved, but finding a compatible printer is proving to be a pain for them.

I don't know anything about DRM and video stuff though. They aren't using theirs for anything like that.
  6. Mar 17, 2007 #5
    From what I understood from friends who are using vista, if you created the Video on that machine and played it on the same machine, there would be no Quality reduction, but if played on other machine, there was some Quality reduction...
    Or something like that
  7. Mar 17, 2007 #6
    The printer thing also happened with XP. That shouldn't be an issue but not exactly a serious problem.

One example of what I was talking about was of one person who bought 2 widescreen CRTs costing over $2000 but since the monitors didn't support High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), none of his HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs played at full quality.

This same "content protection" extends to the graphics card as well and the types of connections that you use for monitors. If the card doesn't support it or if the software thinks that connection is being used for piracy, it either won't play or play at a lower quality.

This is what I mean by "turn off." Because this same "protection" extends to monitors, drivers, your sound card, video card, etc. What I am wondering is if this allows them to decide what hardware you can and can't have on your own PC. If it extends so far as to limit what hardware and software I want to have on my own PC than there is no way I am upgrading. And any new PC I would buy would have linux as a second OS.

Well that also sucks and better not be true. I want my home videos to be played at full quality no matter what PC it is running on.
  8. Mar 18, 2007 #7
    I don't know but I feel lawsuits wouldn't be a stranger with such flawless protection around.
  9. Mar 19, 2007 #8
    Maybe. I wish someone knew for sure how extensive this protection is though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?