Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual Basic 6.0 and modem question

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am having a first go at integrating a PC based VB application with some other types of industrial computers. I wrote a simple VB routine that calls up the driver [for the PC to Industrial connection] as an executable file. This all works fine. The program dials in, gets the data, and closes the exe with no problem. The problem is that whether or not I actually shell to the exe, the modem intialization string seem to be causing me problems. When I am done I can't get the modem to disconnect. This is what I am doing.

For dial out:

If MSComm1.PortOpen = False Then
    Call mnuCommPortOpen_Click
    End If

MSComm1.Output = "AT &D0 &R1 &B1" & vbCrLf
    DialString = "ATDT" & DialNumber & vbCrLf
    MSComm1.Output = DialString

Once it connects I set MSComm1.PortOpen = false. I need to do this to free up the port for the other application. After I retrieve the data, I attempt to hang up like this.

If MSComm1.PortOpen = False Then
    MSComm1.PortOpen = True
    End If

If MSComm1.PortOpen = True Then
    MSComm1.Output = "+++" & vbCrLf
    MSComm1.Output = "ATH0" & vbCrLf
    MScomm1.Portopen = false
    End If

My modem control skills really stink and I haven't worked with Basic in a very long time, so I'm not sure if this is a VB problem or a modem control problem. I thought that a simple ATH0 should do it, but something about the intialization prevents this from working. Then I thought that I must have to go back into command mode, so I added the +++, but no good. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edit: This all uses a standard Hayes compatible, V90 modem

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted