Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual Basic Help

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am a beginner at Visual Basic 6! I am trying to make a simple program that will allow you to enter an angle, and receive the sine, cosine, and tangent values.

the code:
    Code (Text):
    Public Class Form1
        ' Imports System.Math
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim A As Double = TextBox1.Text
            Dim B As Double = TextBox2.Text
            MsgBox((A ^ 2 + B ^ 2) ^ (1 / 2))

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim A As Double = TextBox3.Text
            Dim C As Double = TextBox4.Text
            MsgBox((C ^ 2 - A ^ 2) ^ (1 / 2))

End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
            Dim A As Decimal = TextBox5.Text

MsgBox("cos" & " " & Math.Cos(A))
            MsgBox("sin" & " " & Math.Sin(A))
            MsgBox("tan" & " " & Math.Tan(A))

End Sub
    End Class

As you can see this is very rudimentary stuff.

The first part of the code is for the Pythagorean Theorem knowing A and B, or AorB and C.
    The second part will give me the sine, cosine and tangent of an angle in a message box in decimal form.

The questions I have:
    Is there a command that will make the answers appear in fraction form? I am assuming this will replace the "As Decimal" but I can't find anything in the book I have or on the microsoft website.

Are there inverse sine, cosine and tangent commands? So I can turn the fraction back into the angle (in radians or degrees)

Please forgive me if it is very simple! I am still learning!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2
    As Decimal does not mean decimal but it specifies the amount of memory that should be allocated I believe.

No you can NOT get in fractions unless you do something like Math.Round .. to 2 digit places (0.35) and then multiple by 100 by get the numerator (35) and provide 100 as denominator (35/100)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook