Fix "Cannot Register msvbvm50.dll" Issue for Visual Basic 5 on Vista

• Thread starter Enguerrand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Visual
In summary, the "Cannot Register msvbvm50.dll" error occurs on Windows Vista when trying to use Visual Basic 5 because the file is not compatible with the operating system. This issue can be fixed by using a virtual machine, upgrading to a newer version of Visual Basic, or using an emulator or compatibility mode. It is not possible to manually register msvbvm50.dll on Vista, and there is no way to make it compatible with the operating system. Alternative solutions include using a different programming language such as Visual Basic .NET.
Enguerrand
I have VB5 on my old PC, and I want to use it on my new PC. Copied all the VB files, etc. When I tried to run I got "Cannot register msvbvm50.dll"
So I did regsvr32 msvbvm50.dll and it DID register, but VB still will not run!
Anybody know how I can fix this, so VB5 will run on my Vista machine?
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
You're going to have to install it using the installation CD. Most programs won't work by just copying the files over from another computer.

1. Why am I receiving a "Cannot Register msvbvm50.dll" error when trying to use Visual Basic 5 on Vista?

This error occurs because the msvbvm50.dll file is not compatible with the Windows Vista operating system. This file is necessary for running Visual Basic 5, but it cannot be registered on Vista due to changes in the system's architecture.

2. How can I fix the "Cannot Register msvbvm50.dll" issue on Vista?

There are a few different ways to fix this issue. One option is to use a virtual machine to run an older version of Windows that is compatible with msvbvm50.dll. Another option is to upgrade to a newer version of Visual Basic that is compatible with Vista.

3. Can I manually register msvbvm50.dll on Vista?

No, it is not possible to manually register msvbvm50.dll on Vista. This file is not compatible with the operating system, so it cannot be registered in the traditional way.

4. Are there any alternative solutions for using Visual Basic 5 on Vista?

Yes, there are a few alternative solutions. One option is to use an emulator or compatibility mode to run Visual Basic 5 on Vista. Another option is to use a different programming language that is compatible with Vista, such as Visual Basic .NET.

5. Is there a way to make msvbvm50.dll compatible with Vista?

No, there is no way to make msvbvm50.dll compatible with Vista. This file was designed for older versions of Windows and cannot be modified to work with newer operating systems.