Can You Solve These Visual Brain Teasers?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of visual brain teasers and the lack of them on the forum. The idea of starting a thread for these puzzles is suggested, with a request for moderators to validate image postings. The conversation then moves on to discussing specific visual illusions, including the "tile A and B" and "table tops" illusions, with proofs provided for each. It is noted that these may not be traditional puzzles, but are still intriguing. The conversation ends with the addition of a new, improved image and a recommendation for a webpage with more optical illusions.
Werg22
I so happen to like visual brain teasers. There's a lack, not to say a total absence, of these on this forum and I thought it'd be a good idea to start this thread so to undo the injustice. I was thinking maybe we could have some mods readily check this thread to validate image postings. That said, all kinds of puzzles, provided they have visual elements, would be welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a few that always amaze me.
Pic 1: The "tile A and B are the EXACT same shade" one really gets me. Proof: use MS Paint (or similar) to copy/paste one tile onto the other. They are the exact same shade.
Pic 2: The table tops are the EXACT same size/shape. Proof: trace one out on a piece of paper held up to your monitor. Then rotate it to cover the other one. They are exactly the same.
Pic 3:The "blue" and "green" are actually the same color. Proof: use MS Paint (or similar) to "pick color" and draw on the other color. They are the exact same color. (you might have to zoom in some).
I guess these are not really puzzles, more like illusions. They still seemed fitting for this thread because they are "puzzling" to me.

Attachments

• A and B are the EXACT same shade.JPG
    A and B are the EXACT same shade.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 806
  • Table_Illusion2.jpg
    Table_Illusion2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 711
  • monspiral.JPG
    monspiral.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:
Wow IMP, I checked all of them! Didnt believe them at first. Good ones!

The spiral image is lossy. As a result, the pixels in the green areas are not all the same color. When you pick the color, what you get depends on where you click. Here is page with several optical illusions including a non-lossy version of the spiral. The effect is much better.
Optical Illusions

Jimmy, I replaced the spiral with a cleaner one.

That's amazing. Here is a video summary of these illusions.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are visual brain teasers?

Visual brain teasers are puzzles or problems that require you to use your visual perception and cognitive skills to find a solution. They often involve optical illusions, patterns, and images to challenge your brain.

2. Why are visual brain teasers good for the brain?

Visual brain teasers stimulate different parts of the brain, including the visual cortex and the prefrontal cortex, which are responsible for visual processing and problem-solving. Regularly engaging in these types of puzzles can improve memory, concentration, and critical thinking skills.

3. How do visual brain teasers help with cognitive function?

Visual brain teasers require you to use various cognitive functions, such as perception, attention, and reasoning, to solve the problem. This challenges and strengthens these mental abilities, leading to improved cognitive function overall.

4. Are there different levels of difficulty for visual brain teasers?

Yes, there are various levels of difficulty for visual brain teasers, just like any other type of puzzle. Some may be more straightforward and suitable for beginners, while others may be more complex and challenging for advanced players.

5. Can visual brain teasers improve problem-solving skills?

Yes, solving visual brain teasers requires you to think outside the box and approach problems from different angles. This can help improve problem-solving skills, as it encourages you to use creative and critical thinking to find a solution.