Efficient Array Initialization in Visual C++ for a 4-Digit Odometer

In summary, the conversation was about creating and initializing an array in C++ with 4096 rows and 4 columns, using the digits 0 through 7. The purpose of this was for a personal project and the individual asking for help did not want to spend time learning the new environment. Multiple solutions were provided, including using nested loops and bit operations, and the conversation also touched on the performance implications of using nested loops.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let's say you have a 4 digit "odometer" using just the digits 0 through 7. So it starts at 0000 and works its way up to 7777. So, for example, the next reading after 0007 is 0010 etc. There are ##8^4 = 4096## readings before it rolls over. I want to create and initialize an array with ##4096## rows and ##4## columns with the elements of each row being the corresponding digits (integer type). Like this:$$
\begin {bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
& & \cdots & \\
7 & 7 & 7 & 6\\
7 & 7 & 7 & 7
\end {bmatrix}$$
I'm just experimenting with C##^{++}## in Microsoft Visual Studio. A code snippet for this would save me a lot of time and likely be more efficient than what I might come up with.

Technology news on Phys.org
It would save you a lot of time, but would defeat the purpose of you learning how the code works. Why don't you write a code snippet and let us critique it?

Likes Klystron and Dr Transport
phyzguy said:
It would save you a lot of time, but would defeat the purpose of you learning how the code works. Why don't you write a code snippet and let us critique it?
Because it's part of an almost pointless personal project, because although I have written lots of software over the years, the C##^{++}## environment is new to me, because I am retired and I have no need to "learn how the code works", and because when (if I bother to) I slog through the new environment for the proper headers and syntax to get it working, I won't need your critique. And I also happen to know that one of the best ways to learn a new environment is to see examples from others who already know. That's why.

LCKurtz said:
Because it's part of an almost pointless personal project, because although I have written lots of software over the years, the C##^{++}## environment is new to me, because I am retired and I have no need to "learn how the code works", and because when (if I bother to) I slog through the new environment for the proper headers and syntax to get it working, I won't need your critique. And I also happen to know that one of the best ways to learn a new environment is to see examples from others who already know. That's why.

Until you slog through getting headers etc going in C/C++, reading someone else's code isn't going to help very much. I tried your approach years ago and until I did it, my C/C++ ability was lacking.

I can't, offhand, think of any "slick" way to do that. Any simple way you have is probably as good as any. Clearly, four nested loops from 0 to 7 would do it. Modern computers are so fast that they can fill that array in a millisecond. So unless this is something that will be done a very great number of times, I would leave it simple.

Last edited:
Likes hmmm27
If your octal counters are a stable part of your problem domain (i.e. you don't later want to change that to another base), then you may want skip the array and just generate the four counts from the index directly. And in that case you may also want to look up bit fields (hint: it should be possible to generate the four counts directly from a type cast from an int index to a struct with four bit fields).

Likes Klystron
Combining the two previous posts, your simplest solution appears to be that computing the indices for the hypothetical matrix already gives you the counter value at that index.

Likes Mark44
LCKurtz said:

The problem you're asking about has nothing special to do with the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.

Here's one way to do what you're asking:
C++:
unsigned int digits[4096][4];

for (unsigned int i=0; i<4096; ++i) {
    digits[i][0] = (i / 512) % 8;
    digits[i][1] = (i / 64) % 8;
    digits[i][2] = (i / 8) % 8;
    digits[i][3] = i % 8;
}
Since the base happens to be a power of 2, you can alternatively get the digits out of the index with bit operations. E.g., do (i >> 3) & 07 instead of (i / 8) % 8. But that's a bit more cryptic and less general.

Also, in the name "C++", the "++" is not a superscript.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes LCKurtz, Klystron and DavidSnider
wle said:
The problem you're asking about has nothing special to do with the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.

Here's one way to do what you're asking:
C++:
unsigned int digits[4096][4];

for (unsigned int i=0; i<4096; ++i) {
    digits[i][0] = (i / 512) % 8;
    digits[i][1] = (i / 64) % 8;
    digits[i][2] = (i / 8) % 8;
    digits[i][3] = i % 8;
}
Since the base happens to be a power of 2, you can alternatively get the digits out of the index with bit operations. E.g., do (i >> 3) & 07 instead of (i / 8) % 8. But that's a bit more cryptic and less general.

Also, in the name "C++", the "++" is not a superscript.
Thank you. That is very useful.

Here's a different approach from the one presented by @wle, that uses the idea hinted at by @Klystron. This code will fill the array with 0000, 0001, 0002, ... , 7777.
Nested loops aren't ideal for performance, as they cause the CPU pipeline to be invalidated, but I don't think this is a concern for this problem.

C:
const unsigned short MAX = 8;
const unsigned int ROWS = 4096;
unsigned short arr[ROWS][4];

int main()
{
  int rowNum = 0;
  for (unsigned short d0 = 0; d0 < MAX ; d0++)          // Thousands place
      for (unsigned short d1 = 0; d1 < MAX; d1++)        // Hundreds place
         for (unsigned short d2 = 0; d2 < MAX; d2++)     // Tens place
            for (unsigned short d3 = 0; d3 < MAX; d3++)  // Ones place
            {
                rowNum++;
                arr[rowNum][0] = d0;
                arr[rowNum][1] = d1;
                arr[rowNum][2] = d2;
                arr[rowNum][3] = d3;
           }
}

• Informative
Likes Klystron
I have to admit, the proffered code is giving me a blepharospasm ; yeah, I know, "run once", "optimizing compiler". Still ...

What is the actual application ? On-the-fly would probably be more efficient than a 2d-table access, and more elegant than loading said table, for anything I can think of offhand...

Likes Klystron
I'm not sure why you would ever want to put all of that into memory. You're storing 16kb of information to store a lookup table for a formula involving 3 of the simplest CPU functions. Lookup tables tend to be used for more complicated maths like trig.

Code:
unsigned int digits(int row, int column){
     return (row >> (column << 8)) & 07;  //untested but should produce the same results as everything above
}

When I think about it, this particular function call would almost certainly be faster than calling a lookup table because that would imply: moving the index 0 address into a register, calculating the offset from row and column (which requires multiplication... which is bad,) adding the values together, then grabbing the value from RAM, where the entire function above will take place in the registers without any adding or multiplying.

• Informative
Likes Klystron

What is a Visual C++ array?

A Visual C++ array is a data structure that can hold a fixed number of elements of the same data type. It is used to store and manipulate data efficiently in computer programs.

How do you declare a Visual C++ array?

To declare a Visual C++ array, you need to specify the data type of the elements, the name of the array, and the number of elements it can hold. For example, to declare an array of integers with 10 elements, you can use the following syntax: int myArray[10];

How do you access elements in a Visual C++ array?

You can access elements in a Visual C++ array by using their index numbers. The index starts at 0, so the first element in the array is at index 0, the second element is at index 1, and so on. You can use the following syntax to access an element in an array: myArray[index];

Can the size of a Visual C++ array be changed?

No, the size of a Visual C++ array cannot be changed once it is declared. The number of elements it can hold is fixed at compile time. If you need a dynamic-size array, you can use a container class like vector.

What is the difference between an array and a vector in Visual C++?

An array in Visual C++ has a fixed size, while a vector can dynamically resize itself to hold more elements. Also, vectors have built-in functions for adding, removing, and accessing elements, making them more convenient to use than arrays.