1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual mathematicians?

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    Do you know any influential mathematicians that are visual thinkers? especially those who wrote books.
    For example mathematicians that think and write like Roger Penrose,Benoit Mendelbrot,Vladimir Arnold,Sir M.Atiyah who are very keen on using diagrams and drawings in their writings.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    The question is to what degree are they visual thinkers, rather than whether they are or are not. Do you really care if they are influential or just if they can teach you something? Personally, I could care less if they are influential. I only care if they can teach me something.

As far as influential...Milnor has said he is very visual, although I find some (not all) of his writing to be a bit on the formal side. Bill Thurston. Hilbert, to some degree. Felix Klein. Cornelius Lanczos. John Baez, to some extent.

Tristan Needham, although he seems to be mainly influential as the author of Visual Complex Analysis, which is a must read for any visually inclined math student.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted