Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual Studio

1. Mar 10, 2004 #1
    I've been developing with VB.net with Visual Studio.

Super fun and easy to use if you have a good tutorial.

I suggest most of you try it out.

I wanted to buy my own copy of Visual Studio, but it's highly overpriced.

I'll probably just buy a regular version of Visual Basic.net. Hopefully it's just as easy to use.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2004 #2
    wouldn't touch VB even if I get paid.
    why don't you try at least C instead? or Java... ?
  4. Mar 11, 2004 #3
    VB.net is different from Visual Basic.
  5. Mar 11, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus

In that you need the .net application layer to run the program?

I'll stick to c/c++ thank you very much.
  6. Mar 11, 2004 #5
    I agree. I use Visual Studio .NET at work and it's a great tool! It doesn't write -just- VB, you can also write C# which is what I use it for, and of course many other languages.

Visual Studio is the first development tool I've ever used that WORKS. I mean it really works! It even produces organized, uncluttered code, even in HTML!! I'm still an avid supporter of plain-text programming or even assembly-level programming if you have the skill, but if you don't, Visual Studio is a life saver. You might want a dual-monitor setup though...

P.S. - Stop hating. Any language has its benefits, even VB. Even Fortran and COBOL are still used to this day!
  7. Mar 11, 2004 #6

The code is suppose to be really different.

I believe you can use Visual Studio for C++. Why not spend the money and make your life easier? :wink: :wink:

Click me. You know you wanna.
  8. Mar 12, 2004 #7
    1) what other developement tools did you try that were soooo lame?
    2) Yes that's true a dual-monitor setup for this version.... And a monitor wall with specialized video server for the next version... And maybe a hologhraphic display with smell generation and mind reading interface for the Longhorn version.... does that seems like a Microsoft developement pattern???
    3) PIC assembler is probably more used than VB. Fortran and COBOL are used mainly for maintenence purpose. I didn't hear about Apache or WMP ported to Fortran yet...

Nobody's hating anthing. we are just showing the perils of a proprietary programming language....
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  9. Mar 12, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus

Here are some open source IDEs that don't cost a dime. I've used both Visual Studios and Kdevelop and I have to say the Kdevelop is the better of the two.

If you really want to do .NET you should look into Mono. It is an open source implementation that can run on a host of systems.

Also, GCC is much more mature than Micrsoft's compiler, and produces better output files.

Yes every language has a purpose, but I would rather choose a non-proprietary language that I know 10-20 years down the road i'll be able to still run my programs on almost any type of hardware I have.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  10. Mar 12, 2004 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 12, 2004 #10
    That's all you've got?

You dislike VB because you hear it's "lame"?
  12. Mar 15, 2004 #11
    you really should read more than one line in a post before responding.... eventualy the post it was addressed to ... you know to feel the context ....
  13. Mar 15, 2004 #12
    Real convincing. Nothing related to Visual Studio.
  14. Mar 16, 2004 #13
    you seem to have an obsession with Visual Studio. Have YOU tried anything else?

And don't get me started on Windows programming. You say VB is great and fabulous. have you tried to open a Empty project (yes, it is an option in Visual Studio very often overlooked by coll Windoze programmers) and try to make a window from pure code? have you tried to program something in DirectX or even OpenGL? have you tried to do a driver in Win?

first do this in your sweet VB then tell me how many months did it take and then hurry and recomend something just because it makes beautiful windows when generated by a script you don't understand...
  15. Mar 16, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus

YAFW = Yet Another Flame War

Come on guys. You keep on making me close threads because the discussion goes from topic to Windows versus Linux.

Just use the tool that your more confortable with that does the job
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?