How Does Relativity Affect Information Exchange Between Moving Observers?

In summary, the twin paradox involves a person traveling at extremely high speeds and experiencing time dilation and doppler shift effects. The outbound and inbound trips result in different observations of time and signals due to the doppler shift factor. The relativistic equations and concepts explain and support these observations.
SevenTowers
Hi,
This is a question to which I haven't found an answer anywhere, so I'm probably seeing this wrong but I can't seem to figure it out.
I realize time is warped relative to speed, what I don't understand is the following:
-Considering 2 people, A and B. Let us say that A is stationary and B is moving away from A at a speed very close to that of light (such as the famous twin paradox).
-Now consider that A is emitting an information bearing, electromagnetic signal towards B.
-The way I see it, while B is moving away from A, it is receiving a red shifted beam of information. B is "learning" a lot slower than if he were at rest.
-Now let B turn around at some point and move towards A at the same speed as he was moving away. B is now receiving a blue shifted signal and is "learning" at very fast pace.
-When B finally reaches A, he will have been subjected to all the information broadcasted by A, but at some point will have received it a lot faster, and at some point a lot slower.
- If B's time is running a lot slower as it is proven to, and A has broadcasted one year of his life, does this mean that B has seen everything that has happened in fast forward all the time? Even though the signal was red shifted for half of his trip?
I can't seem to put together the idea of an information exchange with time compression... I visualize electromagnetic waves as constant speed separated crests, which naturally seem closer together if you're traveling towards them, and further apart if you are traveling away.
In the same way, if B is sending EM waves while coming closer to A, A will receive a compressed signal followed from very close by the arrival of B (lets say B is traveling at 99.999999% of c)...
I know a drawing would help but if somebody understands what I'm trying to say could you please enlighten me? Thanx :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this particular subsection of the sci.physics.faq helpful

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_doppler.html

But i'll give a thumbnail sketch of what the traveller sees. The doppler shift factor, k is a function of velocity. So let's say that the doppler shift factor is 10:1.

On the outbound trip, B travels for some time period (let's say 1 year, to make it simple), at a doppler shift factor of 10, and sees the signals from .1 years of events on the planet.

On the inbound trip, B travels 1 year at a doppler shfit factor of 10, and since it turns out that the doppler shift factor is the recirpocal of what he saw on the outgoing trip - so he sees 10 years of signal in his 1 year return trip.

The net result is that B, on a 2 year trip, has seen 10.1 years elapse for the person who stayed behind.

When we look at the relativistic equations, this checks. The doppler shift factor is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{c+v}{c-v}[/tex]

ref:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/DopplerEffect.html

So if your velocity is (99/101)*c, you will experience a doppler factor of 10 (substitute and check - also substitue v= -(99/101)*c into the formula above, and see that the doppler shift factor is indeed .1 on the outbound trip).

The formula for relativistic time dilation is

[tex] gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}} [/tex]

If you substitute v=(99/101) * c in the above expression, you get a gamma of 5.05.

This checks - B has traveled 2 years, and with a time dilation factor of 5.05, we expect that 2*5.05 = 10.1 years have elapsed on earth. Which is the same result we found earlier.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions about visualizing relativity. I can see that you have a good understanding of the concepts involved, but there are a few things that I would like to clarify.

Firstly, in your scenario, A is not actually stationary. In order for B to be moving away from A at a speed close to the speed of light, A must also be moving at a significant speed in the opposite direction. This is because in relativity, there is no absolute reference frame and all motion is relative. So, in this scenario, both A and B are moving away from each other at close to the speed of light.

Now, let's look at the scenario of B turning around and moving towards A at the same speed. In this case, B is still receiving a red-shifted signal, but it is not the same signal that A originally sent. This is because the signal sent by A has also been affected by time dilation. So, when B turns around and moves towards A, he is actually receiving a new, blue-shifted signal that is being sent by A at the same time that B is moving towards A. This signal will be received by B at a faster pace because B is now moving towards the source of the signal.

To answer your question about whether B will see everything that has happened in fast forward, the answer is no. This is because B's perception of time is different from A's. While B may perceive time as moving faster, it is still moving at a slower pace compared to A. So, B will not see everything in fast forward, but rather at a slightly faster pace than A.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of relativity and how information exchange is affected by time dilation and the relative motion of objects. Keep exploring and asking questions, as it is a great way to deepen your understanding of complex concepts like relativity.

What is the concept of relativity?

The concept of relativity refers to the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that there is no preferred frame of reference in the universe and that the laws of physics are consistent and universal.

How does visualisation help in understanding relativity?

Visualisation plays a crucial role in understanding relativity as it allows us to create visual representations of complex concepts and theories. This helps us to better understand the relationships and interactions between different variables and to grasp the underlying principles of relativity.

What are the different types of visualisations used in relativity?

There are various types of visualisations used in relativity, such as spacetime diagrams, space-time animations, and 3D simulations. These visualisations help to illustrate the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, in a more tangible and accessible way.

Can visualisation be used to prove relativity?

No, visualisation alone cannot prove the theory of relativity, as it is a scientific theory that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. However, visualisations can help to provide evidence and support for the theory by demonstrating its predictions and implications.

How can visualisation of relativity be applied in real-world scenarios?

Visualisation of relativity has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and GPS technology. It helps to understand and account for the effects of relativity in these areas and to make accurate predictions and calculations. Additionally, visualisations can also aid in communicating complex concepts to the general public and promoting a better understanding of relativity.