Visualization of a wire & magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic flux inside a wire using Ampere's law. The solution manual provides a formula for calculating the flux through a cylindrical current carrying wire and explains the relationship between the two diagrams. The question is raised about when the magnetic flux through a wire is zero.
AngelofMusic
Hi,

I'm having trouble visualizing the way to calculate magnetic flux inside a wire and I was hoping someone here could help me.

[tex]\Phi_B = \oint B \cdot dA[/tex]

Inside a wire, using ampere's law, I got:

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi}\frac{r}{R^2} [/tex]

And that's where I get stuck. http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/AngelOfMusic/wire.jpg" of the wire, it seems that B is perpendicular to dA everywhere.

In the book's solution, they had this perspective of the wire:

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/AngelOfMusic/wire2.jpg" And it suddenly makes sense.

I was just wondering if someone could point out to me how the two diagrams relate? I'm having trouble going from one perspective to the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AngelofMusics said: "I'm having trouble visualizing the way to calculate magnetic flux inside a wire..."

You don't really calculate flux "in" something; you calculate flux through a surface. The magnetic flux through the surface of a cylindrical current carrying wire is zero. But I'm not sure why you want to know this.

I should have been more clear. I'm calculating the magnetic flux through a wire in a set up where there are two wires parallel to each other. The solution manual says:

The field a distance r from the axis of the wire is given by: [tex] B = \mu_0ir/R^2[/tex] and the flux through the strip of length L and width dr at that distance is: [tex]\frac{\mu_0 ir}{2\piR^2}Ldr[/tex]. Thus, the flux through the area inside the wire is:

[tex]\Phi_B = \int_{0}^{R} \frac{\mu_0iL}{2\piR^2}rdr = \frac{\mu_0iL}{4\pi}[/tex]

A question, though: Under what circumstances is the magnetic flux through a wire zero? It seems from the book's explanation that it shouldn't be zero at all.

1. What is the purpose of visualizing a wire and magnetic field?

The purpose of visualizing a wire and magnetic field is to better understand the relationship between electrical currents and magnetic fields. It allows scientists to study and analyze the behavior and interactions of these two fundamental components of electromagnetism.

2. How is a wire's magnetic field visualized?

A wire's magnetic field can be visualized using iron filings, which align along the magnetic field lines created by the wire. Another method is by using a compass, which will show the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. What is the significance of visualizing the magnetic field of a wire?

Visualizing the magnetic field of a wire allows scientists to understand the direction and strength of the magnetic field, which is crucial in many applications such as motors, generators, and electromagnets. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. Can the visualization of a wire's magnetic field change?

Yes, the visualization of a wire's magnetic field can change depending on the strength and direction of the current flowing through the wire. It can also change if the wire is moved or if the magnetic field of another object, such as a magnet, interacts with it.

5. Are there any limitations to visualizing a wire and magnetic field?

One limitation is that visualizing a wire and magnetic field can only show a 2-dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional phenomenon. Additionally, the accuracy of the visualization may be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields or materials in the area.