Visualization of vector fields

• Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Summary:: Seeding and visualization techniques

Hi

I am looking for resources where I can learn the following:
  1. Seeding strategies and algorithms for vector fields (texture-based, geometry, topological)
  2. Different techniques for visualizing vector fields (streamlines, glyph-based, LIC etc)

Answers and Replies

Summary:: Seeding and visualization techniques

Hi

I am looking for resources where I can learn the following:
  1. Seeding strategies and algorithms for vector fields (texture-based, geometry, topological)
  2. Different techniques for visualizing vector fields (streamlines, glyph-based, LIC etc)
Where have you already looked?

Where have you already looked?
I downloaded the paper on Line Integral Convolution and also a few others, but I think a more introductory text might be helpful to grasp certain aspects since research papers assume more domain knowledge than what I currently have.

YouTube hasn't been helpful, since any search with the word "seed" in it returns videos about agriculture.

I found a book called "Topology-Based Methods in Visualization", but that seems too specific and I need more of an introductory overview with a broader overview of the field so that I can get started reading papers like the ones introduced in that book (and other non-topology-based methods).

Likes sysprog
I suggest that you read some of the work of Professor Terence Tao -- he has material for beginners and goes on to super-advanced work in such topics as smooth manifolds and more : https://www.math.ucla.edu/~tao/

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I suggest that you read some of the work of Professor Terence Tao -- he has material for beginners and goes on to super-advanced work in such topics as smooth manifolds and more : https://www.math.ucla.edu/~tao/
But, he doesn't really write about visualization, though.... He seems to write entirely about pure mathematics and some physics.

That doesn't help me in learning specific techniques to visualize vector fields.