Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualized self

1. Mar 3, 2004 #1
    this is by no means polished. i will be working out my thoughts as i write.

whenever i try to understand the concept of self, i visualize a tree. i am the tree but this physical me might only be a branch of the total me. the trunk is my core being(soul, spirit, etc?) and the big branches individual personalities in a given dimension. the smaller branches off the bigger ones are the various incarnations within that reality.

i am also rooted within the universe and connected with everything thru the universe.

i am sure that you could even say the universe itself can be visualized as a tree with each of us being a branch, etc.

i believe this is why so many writers are enamored of trees. it must be a symbol to the collective unconscious.

peace,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2004 #2
    that's how i visualize reality, as a tree with roots, a trunk, branches, leaves, ... when your point of view is a branch, you look around and maybe not see the tree and just see multiplicity. if you step back and view the whole tree, you see oneness, nonduality, unity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?