1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing a vector field

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1
    Please could someone explain to me how to visualise a vector field? Lets say it's v(x, y) = (2.5, -x) on whatever domain. I tried it the same way as I would visualize a scalar field but the results did not correspondent at all with the results I'd expect.

The same for drawing the field along the x and y axis and along lines through the middle that make a 45 degree angle with x and y. Again my results look somewhat weired...

Thanks a lot,
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If v= (2.5, -x) then the x-component is 2.5 while the y component is -x. Every such vector is constant along a vertical x= a line.

Along the y-axis, for example, all vectors are (-2.5,0), pointing parallel to the negative x axis with length 2.5. Along the line x= 1, all vectors are (-2.5, -1), now pointing down and to the left. Along the line x= 2, all vectors are (-2.5,-2), pointing left but even more "down". Along the line x= -1, all vectors are (-2.5, 1) pointing up and to the left.

It's much easier to draw the field along "isoclines" where the vector is a constant (here x= constant which includes x=0, the y-axis) but if you must draw along the x-axis, you get vectors that always have -2.5 x-component but y-component larger and larger: Think of a vector starting of pointing straight back but swinging more and more downward as you move along the positive x axis. Of course, the vector swings more and more upward as you move left along the negative x-axis. As far as the lines y= x, y= -x, just look down to the x-axis. The vector at a point on either y= x or y= -x looks exactly like the vector on the x-axis directly below or above the given point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?