1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing equations in a row picture.

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    I don't understand how one visualizes in row pictures of equations. There is an example in the book:

With A=I(the identity matrix)
    1x+0y+0z= 2
    0x+1y+0z= 3
    0x+0y+1z= 4

They drew these in the xyz plane. I don't know how they did this, can someone explain me that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't even know what you mean by the "xyz plane"! I assume you meant an xyz coordinate system.
    If you have trouble visualizing in 3 dimensions try reducing the problem to two first.
    The line 1x+ 0y= 2 or x= 2 is a horizontal line of points (2, y) which is distance 2 above the x-axis. The line 0x+ 1y= 3 or y= 3 is a vertical line of points (x, 3) distance 3 to the right of the y-axis. They intersect at (2, 3).

In three dimensions, a single equation in x, y, z, represents a plane. The equation 1x+ 0y+ 0z= 2 or x= 2, corresponds to points (2, y, z) where y and z can be anything but x= 2. That's a plane parallel to the yz plane passing through (2, 0, 0). The equation 0x+1y+0z= 3 or x= 3 is the plane of points (x, 3, z) which is parallel to the xz plane and contains (0, 3, 0). The equation 0x+ 0y+ 1z= 4 or z= 4 is the plane of points (x, y, 4) which is parallel to the xy plane and distance 4 above it. Of course the three planes all intersect in the single point (2, 3, 4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?