Visualizing equations in a row picture.

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture Row
In summary, the conversation discusses how to visualize equations in three dimensions using the xyz coordinate system. The example in the book uses the identity matrix A=I and the equations 1x+0y+0z= 2, 0x+1y+0z= 3, and 0x+0y+1z= 4 to draw three planes intersecting at the point (2, 3, 4). The conversation also suggests reducing the problem to two dimensions to make visualization easier.
NINHARDCOREFAN
I don't understand how one visualizes in row pictures of equations. There is an example in the book:

With A=I(the identity matrix)
1x+0y+0z= 2
0x+1y+0z= 3
0x+0y+1z= 4

They drew these in the xyz plane. I don't know how they did this, can someone explain me that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know what you mean by the "xyz plane"! I assume you meant an xyz coordinate system.
If you have trouble visualizing in 3 dimensions try reducing the problem to two first.
The line 1x+ 0y= 2 or x= 2 is a horizontal line of points (2, y) which is distance 2 above the x-axis. The line 0x+ 1y= 3 or y= 3 is a vertical line of points (x, 3) distance 3 to the right of the y-axis. They intersect at (2, 3).

In three dimensions, a single equation in x, y, z, represents a plane. The equation 1x+ 0y+ 0z= 2 or x= 2, corresponds to points (2, y, z) where y and z can be anything but x= 2. That's a plane parallel to the yz plane passing through (2, 0, 0). The equation 0x+1y+0z= 3 or x= 3 is the plane of points (x, 3, z) which is parallel to the xz plane and contains (0, 3, 0). The equation 0x+ 0y+ 1z= 4 or z= 4 is the plane of points (x, y, 4) which is parallel to the xy plane and distance 4 above it. Of course the three planes all intersect in the single point (2, 3, 4).

Visualizing equations in a row picture can be helpful in understanding systems of equations, particularly when dealing with multiple variables. In the example given, the equations are written in the form of a matrix, with the coefficients of the variables in each row. The first row represents the equation 1x+0y+0z=2, which can be simplified to x=2. This means that the point (2,0,0) is a solution to this equation. Similarly, the second row represents the equation 0x+1y+0z=3, which simplifies to y=3, and the third row represents the equation 0x+0y+1z=4, which simplifies to z=4. This means that the points (0,3,0) and (0,0,4) are also solutions to these equations.

By plotting these points on the xyz plane, we can see that they all lie on the x, y, and z axes respectively. This is because the equations only have one variable each, so the points lie on the axis of the variable that is being solved for. This is known as the row picture because the equations are represented by the rows of the matrix and the solutions are represented by points on the corresponding axes.

Visualizing equations in this way can help us to see the relationship between the variables and how they intersect at certain points, which can be helpful in solving systems of equations. It can also give us a better understanding of how the equations are related to each other and how changes in one variable can affect the others. I hope this explanation helps to clarify how to visualize equations in a row picture.

1. What is a row picture?

A row picture is a graphical representation of a system of linear equations. It involves drawing lines or planes to represent each equation, and the point(s) where these lines or planes intersect represent the solution(s) to the system.

2. How is a row picture different from other ways of visualizing equations?

A row picture is different from other ways of visualizing equations because it focuses on the coefficients and constants of the equations, rather than the variables. It also allows for a visual representation of systems with multiple equations.

3. What information can be gathered from a row picture?

A row picture can provide information about the number of solutions to a system of equations (e.g. one solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions). It can also show the relationships between the equations in the system.

4. How can a row picture be used to solve a system of equations?

A row picture can be used to solve a system of equations by visually identifying the point(s) of intersection between the lines or planes. These points can then be used to determine the values of the variables in the system.

5. Are there limitations to using a row picture to visualize equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a row picture. It is most useful for systems of 2 or 3 equations, as it can become difficult to graph higher dimensions. Additionally, a row picture may not be able to accurately represent systems with many variables or complex equations.