Visualizing PF Members: Avatars, Names, and Identities

• Thread starter CrazyNinja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: Kitten : ^ I like her. ^ 4) @Loki : He seems... well, Loki. 5) @Nyx : I don't know, she just seems... strange. 6) @Pixalate : She seems nice enough.In summary, Drakkith has already initiated a post on this, but I wanted to ask this again:How do you visualise a PF member when you interact with them? Do you see them as their avatars? What if they don't have one? Do you visualise them by their names? What if their names and av
jim hardy said:
naahhhh ,

Evo must resemble this pretty voyageur
350px-John_William_Waterhouse_-_The_Lady_of_Shalott_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

only happier .

I apply for the job as gondolier! :oops:

Likes Sophia, Evo and jim hardy
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even look at jim's avatar to visualize him. Well, I do, but it doesn't have influence on my mind when I read his posts because his words create an image by themselves. I visualize jim as a very wise person. My perception is that Jim is able to wield his words with great mastery. I don't think it is something that could be achieved with talent alone (talent is fine, but this is something more). It is the true proficiency that can only be achieved through countless and continuous improvements across time. I wouldn't mind sitting next to jim all day long and hear some stories perhaps of his life which must certainly have some awesome teachings in them. I would probably make this face while hearing jim out: :bugeye:

:smile:

Likes CrazyNinja and Evo
thanks but no way can mediocre me measure up to that. I'm doggone lucky to be accepted here, and grateful for you kind folks' forbearance.

“Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.”eric hoffer

Likes Psinter, CalcNerd, Evo and 1 other person
Mark, did you know my first *serious* job was as a "cordboard operator" which is what your picture is of?

That was such a FUN job! I quickly climbed the ladder to mobile and marine calls and international. Taking calls from ships at sea was very unusual.

The most fun was the messenger calls to Mexico. Living in Texas, I knew enough Spanish to be able to do quite well with calls to Mexico. Mexicans in the Texas (mostly illegal immigrants) would go to phone stations set up for them since they could not get phones, they would tell me what town and which person they wanted to speak to. I would call the operator in the closest town (this would be a woman who would have a phone in her house that would allow people to come to her home and use the phone and she would get paid by the Mexican government). She would then arrange to send someone on a burrow to go up into the hills, get the person and bring them back to her house, she would give me a day and time that she expected this person to be at her home. I would then tell the person in the US, the day and time they should try back. It was just a hoot.

Last edited:
Likes CrazyNinja, Psinter, mfb and 2 others
Evo said:
Mark, did you know my first *serious* job was as a "cordboard operator" which is what your picture is of?
Yes! You mentioned that to me some time ago. :woot: That's the inspiration for the image. :smile:

Likes Evo
collinsmark said:
Yes! You mentioned that to me some time ago. :woot: That's the inspiration for the image. :smile:
Aww, you remembered. :oldsmile:

Likes collinsmark
Normally I do not let anyone take my picture. It steals my spirit. :wideeyed::biggrin: Occasionally my family FORCES me to be in a picture or someone gets cute and sets me up. Which is what happened here. One of my coworkers handed me a pair of MONstrous 1980's sunglasses and said 'Here...put these on and strike us a pose.' So...I did! But the brat had her phone with her and caught me being weird. Hopefully this will be too small to see well, but here's me sporting an AWEsome pair of '80's shades. You all now have a piece of my spirit. :oldwink:

Attachments

• Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 490
Likes Silicon Waffle, CrazyNinja and OmCheeto
Oh good. It's super small. :oldbiggrin: Sorry. Can't fix it.

Tsu said:

OOOh Tsu you are blond and look cushty

de25a39409e206b3208371c6777ba3b4.jpg

Evo and Tsu.

Likes CrazyNinja, Sophia, OmCheeto and 2 others
wolram said:
de25a39409e206b3208371c6777ba3b4.jpg

Evo and Tsu.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm the one who heard the snores! Honest!

wolram said:
OOOh Tsu you are blond and look cushty
Thank you, Woolie. :blushing:

Tsu said:
Normally I do not let anyone take my picture. It steals my spirit. :wideeyed:[emoji3] Occasionally my family FORCES me to be in a picture or someone gets cute and sets me up. Which is what happened here. One of my coworkers handed me a pair of MONstrous 1980's sunglasses and said 'Here...put these on and strike us a pose.' So...I did! But the brat had her phone with her and caught me being weird. Hopefully this will be too small to see well, but here's me sporting an AWEsome pair of '80's shades. You all now have a piece of my spirit. :oldwink:
Whaaat! I thought tsu was an old man and in fact, she's a pretty lady!
I'm sorry tsu for having a wrong picture of you in my head :-)
I hope that the fact that I've read only a few of your posts can explain this unintentional insult to some degree :-)
Can you ever forgive me??

Sophia said:
Whaaat! I thought tsu was an old man and in fact, she's a pretty lady!
I'm sorry tsu for having a wrong picture of you in my head :-)
I hope that the fact that I've read only a few of your posts can explain this unintentional insult to some degree :-)
Can you ever forgive me??
There is nothing to forgive, Sophia. :oldsmile: Years ago, Evo and I were two of the Sisters of PF (That's why the "Nuns (Sisters) with Guns" photo :oldbiggrin:). The others have gone and I have only recently popped up again for awhile. When spring comes I will be here less. I have a beautiful 5 acre parcel of land with a creek and I spend a LOT of time out there when the weather is good.

Likes CrazyNinja, Silicon Waffle and Sophia
Tsu said:
There is nothing to forgive, Sophia. :oldsmile: Years ago, Evo and I were two of the Sisters of PF (That's why the "Nuns (Sisters) with Guns" photo :oldbiggrin:). The others have gone and I have only recently popped up again for awhile. When spring comes I will be here less. I have a beautiful 5 acre parcel of land with a creek and I spend a LOT of time out there when the weather is good.
I fully understand that you spend so much time in such a lovely place! I love nature too. In the summer, I take my dog and we walk through meadows for couple of hours. If I had a parcel like you I'd be outside all day long :-)

Sophia said:
I fully understand that you spend so much time in such a lovely place! I love nature too. In the summer, I take my dog and we walk through meadows for couple of hours. If I had a parcel like you I'd be outside all day long :-)
And... I AM! :biggrin:

Likes Sophia
Please don't post pics of yourselves on the internet. I'm actually ignoring the pics members post. Not this thread, but other threads as well with what appear to be picture of members. When I see what appears to be a real pic of someone I divert my look, scroll away and don't see it. Good thing I'm terrible at remembering faces. I need to put a huge mental effort to remember someone's face or see them like a thousand times to remember. I never sweat the details of people's faces.

@berkeman - I visualize this as the most rebel of mentors. :biggrin: I may be wrong, I don't know. I have seen him posting at threads that are already closed :DD. Like: "Who cares if this is closed, I'm still going to post my mind." :oldlaugh:

Likes CrazyNinja and Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
I need to put a huge mental effort to remember someone's face or see them like a thousand times to remember.
A few days ago I met a former neighbour in a drug store. It's been a little embarrassing that I did not recognize him before he turned on me to say goodbye.

fresh_42 said:
A few days ago I met a former neighbour in a drug store. It's been a little embarrassing that I did not recognize him before he turned on me to say goodbye.
We are in the same ship then. :nb) It happens to me a lot. People have to look at my face like: "Aren't you going to say hello?" in order for me to trigger a recognition of them. Or simply say hi first. At times people greet me and I greet them back, but very awkward like: "Where do I know this person from? Come on, remember!"

EDIT: A girl once got angry at me at uni because I did not remember her. She called me by my name, but I could not recognize her. I told her: "If you know my name I suppose I know you from somewhere, right?" I think I shouldn't have said that, she looked like I offended one of her great ancestors.

Likes CrazyNinja
Tsu said:
Blond? I'm sure you posted a picture years ago of you in Hawaii and you had dark hair.

Psinter said:
A girl once got angry at me at uni because I did not remember her. She called me by my name, but I could not recognize her. I told her: "If you know my name I suppose I know you from somewhere, right?" I think I shouldn't have said that, she looked like I offended one of her great ancestors.
I once stood in the queue of the mensa and in front of me was a girl in a short skirt and with beautiful legs. As I dreamt a little by myself she all of a sudden turned around... "Hi, Christine! :oops:" - Luckily she took it as a compliment as I later told her about it. But no way I would have associated her beforehand.

Likes Psinter
Evo said:
Blond? I'm sure you posted a picture years ago of you in Hawaii and you had dark hair.
Box of hair color. :oldbiggrin:

Tsu said:
Box of hair color. :oldbiggrin:
That and a pair of 1980's sunglasses and you can be anyone you want! :oldbiggrin:

I'm terrible at remembering faces! It's so embarrassing. Than it seems like I'm so rude when I don't greet people.
I admire our HS teacher. He only asked each of 23 students their name once and immediately remembered them all.
I'm quite good at remembering voices. I always remember it and sometimes when someone greets me I recognize them by their voice instead of face :) But obviously, they have to greet me first :-p

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
I'm terrible at remembering faces! It's so embarrassing. Than it seems like I'm so rude when I don't greet people.
I admire our HS teacher. He only asked each of 23 students their name once and immediately remembered them all.
I'm quite good at remembering voices. I always remember it and sometimes when someone greets me I recognize them by their voice instead of face :) But obviously, they have to greet me first :-p
It sounds like you may possibly have prosopagnosia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

Tests for this exist. I don't know if it would be worth it for you to get tested except that it might exonerate you from accusations of being inattentive.

Likes Psinter
zoobyshoe said:
It sounds like you may possibly have prosopagnosia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

Tests for this exist. I don't know if it would be worth it for you to get tested except that it might exonerate you from accusations of being inattentive.
It's possible that I have a light form of this disorder. It's not that I don't recognize faces at all, but it seems that I need a lot more (compared to what seems normal) encounters with a person before I can recognize them in different situation and/ or clothing.

Sophia said:
It's possible that I have a light form of this disorder. It's not that I don't recognize faces at all, but it seems that I need a lot more (compared to what seems normal) encounters with a person before I can recognize them in different situation and/ or clothing.
Maybe like me, your brain is full. To remember a new face, you will have to forget an old one. :smile:
I don't know what the condition is called.
And I'm not trying to claim I'm really smart or anything. Most of the stuff in my brain is old useless junk.:redface:

Likes Sophia and CrazyNinja
wolram said:
Crazy ninja, you have to have seen the advert to know why
rowanatkinson41.jpg

Came close to how I look when mom gives me cereal in the morning...! :H
Evo said:
I have it. I hate this new forum software, you can't attach an image, it has to be hosted somewhere else.

xq3nOK.jpg

If the two of Evo and Tsu were the nuns of PF long ago, who are all the other people in the pic?
Evo said:
I guess you can teach an old mule new tricks. Here's me . https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/96050

Aah EVO..! You took all the fun out of how we were imagining you...!

newjerseyrunner said:
I picture people based on their avatar and name.

The point of the thread is to tell out loud how you picture them.

I can't picture zoobyshoe. Someone please do it for me.
CrazyNinja said:
If the two of Evo and Tsu were the nuns of PF long ago, who are all the other people in the pic?
One of them is Moon Bear! :partytime:

Using an advanced search algorithm, I was able to locate a picture of OmCheeto...

765f1960-d82d-11e5-8fae-11be0fa76621_Screen-Shot-2016-02-20-at-6-55-20-PM.png

Likes CrazyNinja, Silicon Waffle, Sophia and 3 others
My mental image of zooby
intelligent_ape_by_thinkingapepodcast.png

Likes CrazyNinja, lisab, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
DiracPool said:
Using an advanced search algorithm, I was able to locate a picture of OmCheeto...

765f1960-d82d-11e5-8fae-11be0fa76621_Screen-Shot-2016-02-20-at-6-55-20-PM.png
Oh...uhm...O

Capture.PNG
Using D.P.'s advanced search algorithm (and my snipping tool) I was able to come up with an image of Silicon waffle :smile:

Likes 256bits, Psinter and Silicon Waffle
Come on, already 155. Your information is out-dated! :biggrin: (@ 10:59 AM Texas grandfather clock )

Likes CrazyNinja and 1oldman2