1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing R^4

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble visualizing [tex]\ R^{4}[/itex](a domain of reals in four dimensions).

1. Describe a procedure in given 3 vectors, finds a fourth vector perpendicular to those three. Explain why we can use it in analogous fashion to the normal vector to a plane in [tex]\ R^{3}[/itex].

Here, I'm thinking taking the normal vector of each vector and then adding the three normals would be sufficient, but I am not sure how this is analogous to the normal vector to a plane in the xyz system.

2. How many vertices does the unit cube have in [tex]\ R^{n}[/itex] have? What is the furthest distance from the origin that one can be on the unit cube in [tex]\ R^{n}[/itex]? What is the average distance of the vertices to the origin?

First part I have [tex]\ 2^{n}[/itex], second part a square root of [ a summation from i = 1 to i = n of [tex]\ n^{2}[/itex]]

But the last part stumps me...average distance? and writing a formula for this is a bit confusing too.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2
    for the first you should look at the gram-schmidt proces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram-Schmidt_process

for the second, you are right about the [tex]2^n[/tex]. In general the distance from a vertice to the origin is given by

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{1^2+1^2+\dots+1^2}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{n}}{2} [/tex]

so the average must be

[tex] lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_i^{n} \frac{\sqrt{i}}{2} = lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}[\frac{\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\dots+\sqrt{n}}{2}] = lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{1}}{2n}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2n}+\dots +\frac{\sqrt{n}}{2n} = \infty [/tex]

edited from:

[tex] lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_i^{n} \frac{\sqrt{i}}{2} = lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}[\frac{\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\dots+\sqrt{n}}{2}] = lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{1}}{2n}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2n}+\dots +\frac{\sqrt{n}}{2n} = 0[/tex]

if the average is over dimension.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    ups, don't think the limit converge

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    then i'm not sure what average you should calculate

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no such thing as "the" normal vector to a vector- any vector in the 3 dimensional "plane" normal to that vector. And even in 3 dimensions, adding normal vectors to two given vectors will not in general give you a vector normal to both. In 3 dimensions you have to take the cross product of the two given vectors. Can you thknk of a procedure analagous to that?

Assuming by "unit cube" they mean an n-dimensional "cube" with center at the origin and each side of length 1, then you have, NOT a " summation from i = 1 to i = n of n^2" but only a summation from 1 to n of 1 (the square of the side length= 1)- and that is just n. The diagonal distance between opposite vertices is [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] and if the origin is at the center of the "cube" the distance you want is [itex]\sqrt{n}/2[/itex] (I see that mrandersdk has already given that). Now I guess you could divide that by n and sum to get an average but that does not converge!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?