Visualizing 3D Contours of Spacetime

• B
  • Thread starter Easton Morrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the conversation discusses the visualization of Einstein's vision of Spacetime on an XYZ graph with a fourth dimensional time. The confusion arises when the videos put this graph on a two-dimensional plane of "Spacetime." The speaker's question concerns how to visualize this in three dimensions, specifically when it comes to black holes and their impact on spacetime. The conversation also mentions the use of rubber sheet analogies, which are deemed as poor representations. Instead, it is suggested to focus on understanding the properties of spacetime through two-dimensional Minkowski diagrams before attempting to visualize it in three dimensions.
Easton Morrill
In every video and educational movie that I've seen, it shows Einstein's vision of Spacetime on an XYZ graph with a fourth dimensional time, but my confusion arises because the videos then put this graph on a two dimensional plane of "Spacetime." My question concerns the visualization of this, I am confused whether one should visualize this in three dimensions, and if so, how do black holes and them tearing a hole in spacetime, rip? I mean to say one always visualizes it on a plane with a singularity stretching downward to infinity, but how would I look at this in three dimensions?
Thank you to everyone/anyone who responds, I'm sure that your comment will be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of those "rubber sheet" analogies are poor analogies at best. There is no such thing as the "fabric of space" (or spacetime for that matter). Personally, I've never figured out how to visualize spacetime near a black hole (although I think I've sort of got it) I just concentrate on the properties which is really what matters.

Easton Morrill said:
my confusion arises because the videos then put this graph on a two dimensional plane of "Spacetime."
That could be either of two things. If all the objects involved in the problem lie on a straight line in space (Einstein's classic thought experiments often involved trains and observers along straight railroad tracks for that reason) we only need to draw two dimensions: one for space and one for time, and that's easy to draw on a sheet of graph paper. These diagrams are usually called "Minkowski diagrams" or "space-time diagrams", and they are an essential tools for learning, visualizing, and understanding special relativity. You do not want to take on general relativity and curved spacetime until you are comfortable with reading and interpreting them.

The second common thing you will see is an attempt to explain gravity by showing an illustration of a flat horizontal surface deformed downwards into a funnel shape by the mass at the center. In these pictures, the two dimensions of the sheet are space dimensions and the third dimension through which the sheet is deformed has no physical significance - the artist just needed it to draw the deformation. This is the "rubber sheet" analogy that Phinds disparages above, and he's right - it is very misleading and you might be better off trying to forget that you've ever seen it.

You can find a much more accurate and informative picture by googling for "Flamm's Paraboloid". But as I said, you'll wantbto be comfortable with the two-dimensional Minkowski spacetime diagrams first.

Likes stoomart

1. What is the purpose of visualizing 3D contours of spacetime?

The purpose of visualizing 3D contours of spacetime is to better understand the geometry of the universe and the relationships between space and time. It allows scientists to analyze and interpret complex data in a more intuitive and accessible way.

2. How is spacetime represented in these visualizations?

Spacetime is typically represented as a 3-dimensional grid, where the x, y, and z axes represent spatial dimensions and the fourth dimension, time, is represented by color or animation. This allows for a visual representation of how objects move and interact in the fabric of spacetime.

3. Can these visualizations be used to study black holes and other extreme objects?

Yes, these visualizations can be used to study black holes and other extreme objects in space. By mapping out the curvature of spacetime around these objects, scientists can gain a better understanding of their properties and how they affect the surrounding space and time.

4. How do scientists create these visualizations?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to create these visualizations. They input data from observations and experiments to create a 3D representation of how spacetime behaves in a particular scenario.

5. What can we learn from studying 3D contours of spacetime?

Studying 3D contours of spacetime can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and how the universe works. It can also provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments, such as black holes and the early universe.