Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitality - phylogeny vs ontogeny

1. Jul 12, 2003 #1
    [From a string started by Mentat.] In what proportion do nature and nurture affect survival instinct? In other words, do I fight harder and flee faster to preserve my genetics or my life experiences?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2
    well instictivly u save your gentics many anmials do like the praying manties...the males are killed during sex that cut the population and makes room and food for offspring...

But we humans think we are above nature and came up with a will to live, but still wouldnet a mother (in movies atleast) give her own life in exchange for her childs?

4. Jul 13, 2003 #3
    Wouldn't it be better to teach the males how to take over the world instead of killing them?

5. Jul 16, 2003 #4
    I am of the opinion that one can not draw a clear distinction between nature and nurture when dealing with human behavior. When questions get ontological I generally have serious problems with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?