Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamin b and dreaming

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    years ago i was told that vitamin b helps you remember dreams. since then whenever i want to remember my dreams more i take b complex, and it works every time. why does this work, what is it doing to help you remember dreams? links to effects of b vitamins are not welcome, im looking for something more in depth.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not much on PubMed, only 1 relevant paper and it's highly preliminary, which means the conclusions are not yet validated:

1: Percept Mot Skills. 2002 Feb;94(1):135-40.Links
    Effects of pyridoxine on dreaming: a preliminary study.
    Ebben M, Lequerica A, Spielman A.

City College of New York, USA.

The effect of pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6) on dreaming was investigated in a placebo, double-blind study to examine various claims that Vitamin B-6 increases dream vividness or the ability to recall dreams. 12 college students participated in all three treatment conditions, each of which involved ingesting either 100 mg B-6, 250 mg B-6, or a placebo prior to bedtime for a period of five consecutive days. The treatment conditions were completely counterbalanced and a two-day wash-out period occurred between the three five-day treatment blocks. Morning self-reports indicated a significant difference in dream-salience scores (this is a composite score containing measures on vividness, bizarreness, emotionality, and color) between the 250-mg condition and placebo over the first three days of each treatment. The data for dream salience suggests that Vitamin B-6 may act by increasing cortical arousal during periods of rapid eve movement (REM) sleep. An hypothesis is presented involving the role of B-6 in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. However, this first study needs to be replicated using the same procedures and also demonstrated in a sleep laboratory before the results can be considered certain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook