1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamin C coursework help

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    Hello there, I just needed help on this following problem, its a biology coursework i am doing and it states that,
    The 1% vitamin C Solution contains 1mg of vitamin c in 1.0cm3. Calculate the mass of vitamin c that is required to decolourise 1cm3 of the DCPIP solution. then use this value to work out how much vitamin c each of the fruit juices contain, in mgcm-3

So far I have tested all my fruit juices using my burette and I have recorded the volumes that is needed to decolourise the DCPIP. my writeup is almost complete except for this problem that is asking me to do.

But one thing is i don't understand the question above is asking me

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what chemical reaction takes place in your solution? This is a stoichiometry problem, you should start with the reaction equation.

4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    well I had a test tube and inside was 1cm3 of DCIPIP and my burette contained orange juice and had to slowly add drop by drop to the dcipip until it change colour.
    I have to repeat the exact same procedure with grapefruit juice, blackcurrent juice, and a wide range of juices.

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4

Borek

You are referring to the procedure. I am asking what chemicals do you mix and how do they react.

6. Nov 30, 2008 #5
    There were no chemicals involved, it's just those 2 solutions and when they react, it turned from blue to pinkish colour.
    I mixed the orange juice with the DCPIP and then it changed colour.

7. Nov 30, 2008 #6

Borek

Every single thing you deal with in your life is made of chemicals. You are made of chemicals - proteins, fat, water, carbohydrates, nucleic acids and mineral salts. Both your solutions were full of chemicals.

DCPIP is one of chemicals involved. You have already named another one earlier.

8. Dec 1, 2008 #7
    So what do you suggest I should do into calculating the mass?

9. Dec 1, 2008 #8

Borek

See my first post in the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?