How Much Apple Juice Do You Need for Daily Vitamin C?

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment using redox titration to determine the amount of vitamin C in a sample of apple juice. The result was 0.350mgAA/ml. The question then arises about how much of the sample would need to be consumed to meet the FDA's recommended daily allowance of 60mg/day and Linus Pauling's recommended daily allowance of 16g/day. Through calculations, it was determined that one would need to consume 171ml/day for the FDA's allowance and 45714ml/day for Pauling's allowance. The calculations appear to be correct and the answers seem reasonable.
babbagee
We had to do an experiment to detrmine the amount of vitamin c(aka ascorbic acid) in a sample using redox titration. We used apple juice as a sample. I found out that there is .350mgAA/ml of sample. So the question is

How much of your sample would you need to consume to provide the FDA's recommended daily allowance of 60mg/day, and linus pauling's recommended daily allowance of 16g/day.

For the first allowance i just divided 60mg/day by .350mgAA/ml to get 171ml/day and for the second one i did the same thing and got 45714ml/day.

Did I do my calculations correctly and do the numbers seem reasonable?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
THe math looks correct, so the answers must be right.

Based on your calculations, it seems like you have correctly determined the amount of sample needed to meet the FDA's recommended daily allowance and Linus Pauling's recommended daily allowance for vitamin C. However, the amount of sample needed for Linus Pauling's recommendation seems extremely high at 45714ml/day. It is important to remember that these recommendations are based on average needs and may vary for each individual. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations on vitamin C intake. Additionally, consuming a variety of fruits and vegetables in addition to the apple juice can help meet your daily vitamin C needs.

1. How much Vitamin C should I take on a daily basis?

The recommended daily intake of Vitamin C for adults is 65-90 mg per day. However, some studies suggest that higher doses, up to 2000 mg per day, may be beneficial for certain health conditions.

2. Can I get enough Vitamin C from my diet alone?

Yes, you can get enough Vitamin C from your diet by consuming foods high in Vitamin C such as citrus fruits, berries, kiwi, and vegetables like broccoli and bell peppers. However, if you have a deficiency or need higher doses for certain health conditions, supplementation may be necessary.

3. What are the benefits of taking Vitamin C on a daily basis?

Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage and plays a role in collagen production, wound healing, and immune function. It may also have benefits for heart health, skin health, and iron absorption.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with taking Vitamin C daily?

For most people, taking Vitamin C on a daily basis is safe. However, consuming large doses (over 2000 mg per day) may cause digestive issues such as diarrhea, nausea, and stomach cramps. It may also interact with certain medications, so it is important to consult with your doctor before starting supplementation.

5. Can I take Vitamin C on a daily basis if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

Yes, pregnant and breastfeeding women have higher Vitamin C needs and can benefit from taking it on a daily basis. The recommended daily intake for pregnant women is 80-85 mg per day and for breastfeeding women is 115-120 mg per day. However, it is important to consult with your doctor before starting any supplementation during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.

Back