• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I take a multi-vitamin supplement about 5 days a week. What is it in the pill that makes my urine turn bright, bright yellow? It looks almost fluorescent sometimes!

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I take a multi-vitamin supplement about 5 days a week. What is it in the pill that makes my urine turn bright, bright yellow? It looks almost fluorescent sometimes!
One of the B-vitamins...IIRC, it's the folate.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does folate have a visible chromaphore? I always thought that color was due to the bright yellow riboflavin (B2).

jim mcnamara
Mentor
pterins (folates as cryptochromes in leaves) have been shown to have max absorption at 380nm. It would give an orange-ish color I presume. Assuming folates in urine are similar.

http://mplant.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/1/1/68 [Broken]

However I always thought riboflavin was the major color culprit, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
When I take a pill high in iron, the excess iron turns my urine dark yellow or orange.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does folate have a visible chromaphore? I always thought that color was due to the bright yellow riboflavin (B2).
Could be...I was certain on the B vitamin part, but since I've never seen any of the B vitamins individually, just as a complex, I could very well be wrong on which one it is that's the yellow culprit.

Edit: Yep, digging around, it is B-2. Even found an ancient archived thread here on it (but am not providing a link to it because it also contained some old crackpottery we wouldn't allow under current guidelines). My apologies for the misinformation about it being folate.

Last edited: