Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamins B, C, E

1. Jun 30, 2004 #1
    1) Why do people say taking too much vitamins is not good ?
    2) Can you tell me why vitamin B.s usually works best for human brain/nerves ?
    3) Can you tell me about vitamin E's mechanism as to when it is used to help people from skin cancer ?

Thanks a lot
    Regards,
    PS: I have tried to read my book but it is really long and there are so many details that are so difficult that I couldn't memorize...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some vitamines are hydro soluble whereas others are liposoluble. The hydrosoluble don't tend to be a risk when taken in excess because the excess will be excreted in urine. Liposoluble proteins are the one that can be dangerous when taken in excess because it will acumulates it your fat reserves and in your liver. As vitamines acumulates it starts to cause some side effects.

The liposoluble vitamin E acts mainly as a radical scavenger in the cell walls. It protects the various components of the cell wall against oxidation stabilising the cells.

4. Jun 30, 2004 #3
    Thanks iansmith very much,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?