1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VLSI textbook

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    VLSI textbook....

Could someone recommend me a good technologically up to date book on VLSI? I am studying the 4th edition of streetman right now, but the VLSI stuff is a bit outdated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2
    Digital Integrated Circuits by Jan M. Rabaey is basically the textbook for VLSI. I've used it for two VLSI courses and it's very good.
  4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    Rabaey is popular, but a lot of people seem to complain that it's description of some important topics is somewhat incomplete.

Kang and Leblebici is actually very thorough, and treats things very rigourously - plus it describes the device physics very precisely as well. Downside - it can be rather expensive new.
  5. Apr 14, 2007 #4
    Thank you both for your advice. I have been considering Rabaey, and I have been watching his video lectures posted on his website (they are quite good), but I will also consider Kang nd Leblebici. jbusc, I already have a grounding in solid state devices (I have already worked through Streetman cover to cover) so I am not looking for a devices text. I am looking for a text that focuses primarily on VLSI and integrated circuits.

The professor that typically teaches the VLSI course at my school recommended Mead, but it was published in 1980. That's an awful long time ago, especially in this subject....
  6. Apr 14, 2007 #5
    Don't get me wrong, Kang+Leblebici is primarily a VLSI design text, and focuses primarily on design and methodology, etc., and assumes you've had some prerequisite course on basic solid state devices (though it does not really assume that much).

What I was trying to say was that it is comprehensive at the same time, and doesn't ignore the device physics (like some VLSI books do) but rather explains how they fit into the context of cmos transistor-level design.
  7. Apr 14, 2007 #6
    I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?