Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voice Extraction

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I heard someone talking about something that our voice is stored somewhere in the atmosphere? Is this true?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a crackpot, or they are pulling your leg. Can you post a link to some credible information?

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not our voice. Every breath you take will contain some of the atoms and molecules exhaled by every person and animal that ever lived*.

*Sort of. It takes 1000 to 2000 years to be assured that all the air of the planet has been thoroughly mixed. But pretty much, every exhaled breath from every living creature prior to that time has been mixed completely and evenly across the globe, and therefore, with every breath we are breathing what they breathed out in every breath.

But the voices are waves through the air, and this energy dissipates completely into chaotic random motions of molecules.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    Yes it is stored under

C://Atmosphere/Creatures/Platypuses and Humans/Humans/Voices_all(TechnoRemix).mp3

Hope that helps.

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5
    Platypuses and Humans! Damn! I knew it was one of those...

And here I was looking through /Hippos and Rhinos...

And also:

I did not know that.. That's actually a pretty, well, disturbing fact there. Thanks Chi lol

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6

berkeman

It's stored in a file on your local hard drive. Okay, give me a minute...

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's actually C:\Atmosphere\Creatures\Platypuses and Humans\Humans\Voices_all(TechnoRemix).mp3

9. Sep 14, 2009 #8
    When I first heard this, I immediately said that the voice fades with distance. But do you have a source about this subject?

10. Sep 14, 2009 #9

berkeman

A source for the breath thing, or for the sound propagation thing? Hopefully you're asking about the former.

11. Sep 14, 2009 #10
    I need a reference about the whole subject, wether it is true or not.

12. Sep 14, 2009 #11

berkeman

The sound propagation thing is definitely not true. You can use google or wikipedia or any simple intro physics text to find explanations of how sound works and propagates. To believe otherwise is nonsensical.

On our breathing pterodactyl bad breath, well, Chi is going to provide you with that link.

13. Sep 15, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Chi is pulling your leg a little bit. Afterall, air molecules don't always stay in the air over such long periods of time, and other molecules can get added. So, it's really just as possible that you're breathing molecules formed from pterodactyl poop as from pterodactyl bad breath. :wink:

14. Sep 15, 2009 #13

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Sep 15, 2009 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea was a thought experiment I got from Paul Hewitt, the Teacher's Teacher. This was a simple demonstration of orders of magnitudes, really. There are about as many molecules in one lung-full of air as there are lung-fulls of air in the atmosphere (about 10^21, or 10^22, depending on who's lung you use.)

When you exhale, the molecules begin mixing and recombining. Give it enough time (is 1000 years enough? I don't really know) and all the atoms/molecules will be evenly mixed throughout the entire atmosphere, and the probabilities approach 1:1 that you will inhale at least one atom that was exhaled by any human of 2000 years ago.

It will take some time before I have this verified. Just started my control group of CO2 yesterday. A heck of time tagging those suckers.

Edit: just saw OS's link. They had 10^23. Whatever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook