Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voices in winamp

1. Jul 2, 2003 #1
    how can you shut down the vocals in songs?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2003 #2
    Hmmm, maybe there is a plugin for winamp, but I've never heard of anything that does what you want.

4. Jul 3, 2003 #3
    I think pretty much the only way to do that is to obtain a studio cut of the song, before they have merged the vocal and instrument tracks. Once they are merged, I dunno what you would use to seperate them.

5. Jul 3, 2003 #4

megashawn

Science Advisor

I don't know that you can, but perhaps with a good EQ plugin you could drown it out a good bit. You usually lose some part of the music as well though.

Lemme know if you figure anything out, I've been wanting to do that for years.

Like was mentioned, usually once there mixed, there stuck.

6. Jul 3, 2003 #5
  7. Jul 4, 2003 #6
  8. Jul 6, 2003 #7
    In order to use this plugin, you must have WinAmp 2.0 or greater installed. It
    also requires a stereo stream to work properly, and the higher the bitrate the
    better. To enable it, just go into the Preferences (CTRL-P), and select
    'AnalogX Vocal Remover' from the list; a slider will appear on the screen that
    will allow you to adjust the amount of the effect (0% = normal; 100% = totally
    processed).

The most common problem people have when installing the program is putting it
    in the wrong directory. If it doesn't show up in the WinAmp program, simply
    search your system for the file 'dsp_vr.dll' and copy it into the
    WinAmp/Plugins directory.

this is from the readme file. I think I might have a standalone version on my home computer. I haven't actually used it.

Raavin

9. Jul 17, 2003 #8
    If you are not using a computer to do all of this, you can accomplish the task by running the stereo lines into a differential amplifier and making use of the monophonic output. The inverting and noninverting inputs of an operational amplifier, on which this type of circuitry is generally constructed, give you the desired phase shifting where the center stage (the 'place' where vocals usually are located on a recording, but not always) is cancelled out as common mode noise. The success is largely dependant upon the nature of the stereo signal it is being fed, and you will often hear at least a trace of vocals, though about 60dB of attenuation is possible. Because the output often has high levels of ambience signals, if you amplify it and drive a couple of speakers placed at the back of the room you can create a sort of ‘poor-mans’ quadraphonic system.
    If you like to build kits I might be persuaded to whip you up a schematic…

10. Jul 21, 2003 #9
    try to get the instrumentals for the song u want

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?