Void to the End of our Universe?: Exploring the Unknown

• B
  • Thread starter David Fosco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: We can see what's on the other side of these voids because there is very little material to scatter light.
David Fosco
TL;DR Summary
What's on the other side
Is there a reason why we can't see what's on the other side of these Voids in Space? Are we to Believe it is Void to the End of our view of the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
Tell us what voids you are talking about. Why do you capitalize common nouns and the verb "believe"?

Likes davenn and russ_watters
We can see what's on the other side of these voids. Why do you think we can't?

Likes russ_watters
David Fosco said:
Is there a reason why we can't see what's on the other side of these Voids in Space?
A reference or link is needed here. It isn't at all clear what voids you are talking about.
David Fosco said:
Are we to Believe it is Void to the End of our view of the universe?
Everywhere we look we see the cosmic microwave background. That's as far as we can see.

David Fosco said:
Is there a reason why we can't see what's on the other side of these Voids in Space? Are we to Believe it is Void to the End of our view of the universe?

Voids are large volumes of space with much less material in them than average. This means that there is even less material to absorb or scatter light than the rest of the universe, so we can easily see through them.

Ibix said:
Everywhere we look we see the cosmic microwave background. That's as far as we can see.

Drakkith said:
Voids are large volumes of space with much less material in them than average. This means that there is even less material to absorb or scatter light than the rest of the universe, so we can easily see through them.
Correct.

{Edit: Historical note removed. /Pre-Enlightenment scholars and philosophers spread much ink emphasizing and then denying voids existed based on the notion that the creator's light permeates the universe. A void without light/love contradicts universal redemption./}

Detecting the cosmic background radiation in all directions, and with predicted variations (anisotropy), {Edit: ibid. /replaced those old notions while ironically coinciding with the historical term: Enlightenment/}.

Here is a colored map of background radiation derived from the COBE anisotropy data.
1609458347048.png

(The black corners appear for contrast and do not represent voids)

Last edited:
Klystron said:
Pre-Enlightenment scholars and philosophers spread much ink emphasizing and then denying voids existed based on the notion that the creator's light permeates the universe. A void without light/love contradicts universal redemption.

This is a science forum. It is pointless to bring up religious nonsense.

Likes dlgoff, Imager, Hamiltonian and 3 others
David Fosco said:
Summary:: What's on the other side

There isn't true at all! These voids in space are the vacuum whom we talk about everywhere. This vacuum, unfortunately, isn't all absence of matter, in fact you have to take in account the possibility to meet some cosmic dust or something else. But it doesn't matter, the important stuff, here, is that there is approximatively nothing. Sounds cannot travel in the void, space in which there are no atoms, but light can. This vacuum is also in the space between two "solar" sistem, and look, we can watch stars!

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
vincenzosassone said:
There isn't true at all! These voids in space are the vacuum whom we talk about everywhere. This vacuum, unfortunately, isn't all absence of matter, in fact you have to take in account the possibility to meet some cosmic dust or something else. But it doesn't matter, the important stuff, here, is that there is approximatively nothing. Sounds cannot travel in the void, space in which there are no atoms, but light can. This vacuum is also in the space between two "solar" sistem, and look, we can watch stars!
I think the definition of void in astronomy has slightly different meaning. It is relevant to very large scales, tens of megaparsecs. From wiki:
Cosmic voids are vast spaces between filaments (the largest-scale structures in the universe), which contain very few or no galaxies. Voids typically have a diameter of 10 to 100 megaparsecs; particularly large voids, defined by the absence of rich superclusters, are sometimes called supervoids. They have less than one tenth of the average density of matter abundance that is considered typical for the observable universe.
So the void can even contain entire galaxy, or more. What is important, the density of such region is much lower than average density of the (observable) universe.

Likes vincenzosassone and phinds
lomidrevo said:
I think the definition of void in astronomy has slightly different meaning. It is relevant to very large scales, tens of megaparsecs. From wiki:

So the void can even contain entire galaxy, or more. What is important, the density of such region is much lower than average density of the (observable) universe.
Very well, here I can't say anything...you're right. I was wrong, voids are regions very big in the scale of superclusters, if I understood correctly. Anways, now I read more about voids to fill this missing knowledge, many thanks for telling me this, and I also understood something else. Now I know that this voids are something bigger than galaxies, for this reason we cannot take in account them, but there is something in our galaxy of very important: vacuum between solar sistems. Have you ever wondered what there is between them? Now I tried to google it and I discovered there are many meteors with dust and gas... We cannot talk about total vacuum but there is more vacuum than mass, this means that atoms there cannot build a way for stars, or better, for their light. Maybe this is the most powerful proof that I can put here...
Even if there is another thing that I can say: we can watch the Sun, and between us and the Sun there are only two planets, something of useless to talk about and the famous cosmic dust, that not even in this case is useful because it doesn't cover oll the place. I'm sorry for the lenght, but I want to explain as detailed as possible this topic without imperfections. Obviously, if there are some imperfections, please tell me what is imperfect because this is all I know.Many thanks again! :smile:

Likes lomidrevo
vincenzosassone said:
Very well, here I can't say anything...you're right. I was wrong
No worries, nobody knows everything.

vincenzosassone said:
Now I know that this voids are something bigger than galaxies, for this reason we cannot take in account them
As OP hasn't interacted with us at all, we don't know what he actually meant by void.

vincenzosassone said:
vacuum between solar sistems. Have you ever wondered what there is between them? Now I tried to google it and I discovered there are many meteors with dust and gas... We cannot talk about total vacuum
Sure, the space is not fully empty. But in average, it is much better vacuum than we are able to prepare in labs here on Earth.

vincenzosassone said:
this means that atoms there cannot build a way for stars, or better, for their light.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Light doesn't need any "way" build by atoms to propagate. Light travels in vacuum. I guess it is just typo, because in post #8 you have it correct.

Likes vincenzosassone
lomidrevo said:
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Light doesn't need any "way" build by atoms to propagate. Light travels in vacuum. I guess it is just typo, because in post #8 you have it correct.
No, it isn't... In my 8th post, an in the 10th too, I only wanted to reply to the guy in the 1st post. There is something of very weird:
David Fosco said:
Summary:: What's on the other side

Is there a reason why we can't see what's on the other side of these Voids in Space?
lomidrevo said:
As OP hasn't interacted with us at all, we don't know what he actually meant by void.
I don't know the meaning of the word OP, but if you mean David Fosco, I absolutely agree. This is the reason of my 10th post, I tried to find a way to show why light travel in the vacuum and in the voids too

vincenzosassone said:
I don't know the meaning of the word OP

It means the Original Poster--the person who started this thread. Which would be @David Fosco in this case, yes.

Likes vincenzosassone
vincenzosassone said:
I don't know the meaning of the word OP, but if you mean David Fosco, I absolutely agree. This is the reason of my 10th post, I tried to find a way to show why light travel in the vacuum and in the voids too
As @PeterDonis explained, I meant Original Poster. OP can also mean Original Post, so you need to take the context into account.

OK, I just want to make sure that you do not require dust, atoms or any other form of matter to allow propagation of light in vacuum.

Likes vincenzosassone
vincenzosassone said:
I tried to find a way to show why light travel in the vacuum and in the voids too

I don't think there is any need to "find a way" for light to travel through vacuum or voids. Note that, as was pointed out in post #3 of this thread, the OP was mistaken in believing that we cannot see through the voids in our universe. We can, and that's common knowledge.

Likes vincenzosassone and lomidrevo

1. What is the "Void to the End of our Universe"?

The "Void to the End of our Universe" is a theoretical concept that describes the vast expanse of space and time beyond our observable universe. It is believed to be an infinite and ever-expanding void that contains countless galaxies and other celestial objects.

2. How do scientists study the Void to the End of our Universe?

Scientists use a variety of observation and measurement techniques, such as telescopes and satellites, to study the Void to the End of our Universe. They also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand its structure and behavior.

3. What is the significance of studying the Void to the End of our Universe?

Studying the Void to the End of our Universe can provide valuable insights into the origins and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. Is it possible to travel to the Void to the End of our Universe?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to physically travel to the Void to the End of our Universe. The immense distances and extreme conditions make it currently impossible for any known technology to reach that far. However, scientists continue to explore the possibilities of future space travel and technology.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with studying the Void to the End of our Universe?

There are no direct risks associated with studying the Void to the End of our Universe. However, as with any scientific research, there may be ethical considerations and potential consequences of our actions. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and address these factors in their studies.